Having VPN issues, won't connect, across all devices

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by mikeapbiz » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:39 pm
As background, I use Sonic VPN on 3 laptops and 4 phones. Recently, none of them will connect. So it's not a software out of date issue or a problem with one device since all 7 stopped at same time. It's not a password issue since I can login to my sonic account fine and I don't get a password error. I've used these like clockwork for YEARS with no issues, then all of a sudden, it won't work. I've changed no settings nor done any new installations or anything else on these devices. I would guess it's something specific to my account otherwise the message board would have several other topics on this around the time it started with me, but I can't figure out what is causing this. Anyone have any thoughts?
by virtualmike » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:40 pm
Could it be your local connection? For example, my former employer suddenly blocked all VPNs from the enterprise network. Perhaps your ISP has put a block in place?
by mikeapbiz » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:36 am
Hope not, I'm trying from my home Sonic connection, haha.
by virtualmike » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:37 pm
Yeah, Sonic wouldn't block that, but why are you even using it? If you have a Sonic connection, using VPN is pointless--it adds overhead to the traffic, and Sonic would still be able to see your network traffic.
by mikeapbiz » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:57 am
I used it at home to prove there wasn't an issue with ISP. But I use it on the road. What department at sonic should I contact for help?
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:44 pm
First, did you possibly change your password recently? If so, the clients need to be updated.

If that's not the issue, then I'd start with Support to ensure there are no issues with your account.
by js9erfan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:26 am
Could be an account or profile issue (outdated config, etc.) but I would start by checking your client connection logs for errors. Those should give you a clue as to why its not connecting.
by gabors » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:01 am
For what it's worth, I've been having the same issues. The OpenVPN logs pointed to an authentication error, although I was sure that the user name/password were correct.

The solution was to use the OpenVPN 3 client, whereas before it used to work with OpenVPN 2.5 for me. I use Linux, and the commands shown at https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... ith-linux/ did establish the tunnel successfully.
8 posts Page 1 of 1