Ok to use UDM Pro to futureproof for 10G?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by sandeep_giri » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:07 pm
I'm upgrading my home network and want to make sure that it is ready for 10G fiber when it becomes available -- currently only 1G fiber is available in our neighborhood :( -- does it make sense to get a Ubiquity Dream Machine pro and connect it to the Sonic ONT, and run the rest of the network off it? Is it even possible to connect a UDM Pro to the regular Adtran 411 ONT (assuming that's what Sonic will provide for a 1G fiber installation)?

Assuming this is possible, I imagine I can get multiple U6-Mesh access points and wire them directly to the UDM Pro to create a WiFi 6 mesh - right?

Will greatly appreciate feedback/pointers/alternative suggestions to do this efficiently.
by js9erfan » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:06 am
Lots of posts here with people using UDMs for this so yes, all possible. If that's the route you're going and you plan to deploy UniFi APs via wire I would consider the UDMSE which has poe enabled switchports. This way you don't have to install poe adapters to power them. Or, if the number of wired devices you have will exceed the amount of switchports on the UDM (8) consider a poe capable switch to power them off of.

When you do eventually upgrade to 10G service all you will need to do is add an SFP+ transceiver to the UDM. That said making the rest of your network and devices 10G capable is a different story 8-)
by rconti » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:47 am
Yes; I'm using a UDM Pro and USW-250-PoE and some PoE APs.

As I look forward to 10gig arriving soon (!) I've got a few bottlenecks:

My switch only supports 1gig uplink via SFP. Could buy a replacement with a 10 gig capable SFP.

Downstream ports would still be 'only' 1G though, and there are virtually no Ubiquiti APs that support >1G uplink.

Obviously you still get the benefit of more aggregate bandwidth over 1G but each downstream multi-client device (downstream switches, APs, etc) are bottlenecked on 1G, for what it's worth.

I have no idea what my home wiring is; either Cat5E or 6. But I do have one device that supports 10gig over copper and one that supports 2.5gig so it would be nice to have a switch pushing at least 2.5G to a few ports for bragging rights :D
3 posts Page 1 of 1