One of the first SF GPON customers - old question; static IPs

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by bubba198 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:49 am
Hi everyone,

I think I'll be approaching year 8 as GPON customer in SF; the very first time I saw the trucks pulling strings on them poles I found out who they worked for; called and signed up for service lol

Back then we were asking about this very same thing - any traction today - static IP assignment?

Thanks
Boyan
by ngufra » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:32 pm
I too would love to be able to enable static IP but for sonic it's not a priority at the moment I think and they will tell you only a small numbers of customers want it.
I think one of the arguments was also that people with a static IP are more likely to use it to run services that would use a lot of bandwidth. Their broken argument was we don't offer it so we can still claim we don't cap your bandwidth.
by bubba198 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:00 am
Just curious - do Sonic business customers have access to static IPs?
by rcoaster » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:45 am
They certainly do (but perhaps not on all Sonic service types); if Sonic did not offer static IP addresses at all, they would be throwing away business from many customers that simply will not run their systems without them.
by rcoaster » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:48 am
I will happily keep my 10 Mb Fusion service with my fixed IP address over gigabits, terabytes, or anything else with the headaches of dynamic IP.
5 posts Page 1 of 1