10Gbps only showing 1Gbps max?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by chasenrogers » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:24 pm
Hey everybody, just switched over to Sonic because they rolled out 10gig in my area. So far my speeds have been slower than expected, so I went and upgraded to an Eero Pro 6e so I could take advantage of these higher speeds.

In the Eero app I'm still only showing a Wired data rate of 1Gbps, where it can actually get up to 2.5Gbps. It feels like I should, considering the 10Gbps connection is live and I'm using a Cat6 cable.

Am I missing something? Any fixes or suggestions?
by joeyyung911 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:29 pm
What are your devices?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by chasenrogers » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:01 pm
joeyyung911 wrote:What are your devices?
I'm only looking at the wired data rate between the modem and the Eero Pro 6E, no other devices yet. The speed test for that connection ends up right around 1Gbps. The problem is, it should get up to 2.5Gbps, and with a 10gig line, feels like it should be maxing it out.
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:48 pm
I'm only looking at the wired data rate between the modem and the Eero Pro 6E, no other devices yet. The speed test for that connection ends up right around 1Gbps. The problem is, it should get up to 2.5Gbps, and with a 10gig line, feels like it should be maxing it out.
According to the eero site, https://eero.com/shop/eero-pro-6e, it only can route at 1gbps over ethernet:
Supports network speeds up to 2.3 Gbps (a gigabit wired and 1.3 Gbps wireless).
I did see in the tech specs that it has a 2.5gbe port, but it doesn't seem to route much faster than a gig for either interface. The other thing to check is that you're connected to the 10gbe port on your ONT and not the 1gig port.

Keep in mind also, many speed test sites are limited in the amount of bandwidth that you can test. Given that you're hitting ~1gbps with your current setup, you're doing really well. If you want to push your connection beyond that, you'll really need equipment that supports 10gbe.
by dane » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:55 pm
Yep, you’d need two things: a 10Gbps router, and a 10Gbps Ethernet on your computer.

Some customers have reported good success with a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro, but I haven’t tested it myself. I’m trying a new TPLink router that’s in beta at the moment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by chasenrogers » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:02 am
kyle.depasquale wrote:

I did see in the tech specs that it has a 2.5gbe port, but it doesn't seem to route much faster than a gig for either interface. The other thing to check is that you're connected to the 10gbe port on your ONT and not the 1gig port.

Keep in mind also, many speed test sites are limited in the amount of bandwidth that you can test. Given that you're hitting ~1gbps with your current setup, you're doing really well. If you want to push your connection beyond that, you'll really need equipment that supports 10gbe.
Turns out I'm a bit of an idiot and I didn't even see one of the ports was the designated 2.5gbe port. Once I read this and realized that, i switched it and I'm seeing a 'wired data rate' of 2.5Gbps, which is awesome.

Though, I'm still only getting about 220Mbps on my wireless devices which still seems slow (and my old 1Gbps ATT router/connection used to routinely get 330-350Mbps speeds). Any reason my upgraded set up now would be showing me slower speeds?
by ngufra » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:03 pm
What wifi channel width are you using?
in 5 GHz band you can usually select 20, 40 or 80 MHz width. A wider channel will allow a higher bandwidth.
Not all devices support the wider channel and wider channels may get more noise from adjacent channels.
7 posts Page 1 of 1