What is the current "official" or recommended modem for Fusion DSL/ADSL service?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 2 of 2
by wyeager3 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:19 pm
Thanks for starting this thread; the recommendations are really helpful. Does Sonic need to enable anything on their side to allow me to switch from AT&T-supplied modem/router to my own modem? I have an Actiontec GT701D but its built-in settings (which include a Sonic preset) don't seem to work.
by uzlonewolf » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:27 am
I'm currently rocking the Zhone 6729 with dual lines (X2). It supports ADSL2+ Annex M as well as VDSL2 17a (bonded) and 30a (single line only). Unfortunately it is not made anymore :cry: I did stockpile a bunch and have like 4 spares ready to go should my current one die. They still pop up on ebay from time to time. I especially like it because it supports VLANs and you can get creative and bridge the DSL connection to one VLAN while keeping the modem also bridged in, allowing you to throw DMZ devices into that VLAN for direct access (if you have the static IPs) while using the modem as a gateway for everything else.

B0 Traffic Type: PTM
B0 Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 55491
B0 Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 127280

Line 1 is up and in sync at 19397kbps up and 60728kbps down.
Line 2 is up and in sync at 36094kbps up and 66552kbps down.

DSL of all flavors is a dying dead-end technology so there aren't going to be many manufacturers putting effort into new devices.
by rcoaster » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:25 am
wyeager3 wrote:Thanks for starting this thread; the recommendations are really helpful. Does Sonic need to enable anything on their side to allow me to switch from AT&T-supplied modem/router to my own modem? I have an Actiontec GT701D but its built-in settings (which include a Sonic preset) don't seem to work.
Hi, I am glad you can use the notes being shared here. Based on your comment "AT&T-supplied", do you have fiber service (which could still include only copper wire to your home/business) as opposed to Fusion DSL service? If you do, then you cannot switch away from the AT&T equipment from what I understand.

If you go to this Sonic Web page (and log in there, separate from logging in here):

https://members.sonic.net/labs/fusion-line-profile/

It should either list your Fusion service or give you some other message perhaps, if your Sonic service is not Fusion DSL.
by rcoaster » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:33 am
uzlonewolf wrote:I'm currently rocking the Zhone 6729 with dual lines (X2)...
60 megabits per line, that is impressive indeed for X2 DSL service! (Unless you have a pair-bonded version of Sonic's re-sold AT&T service, which would be outside the scope of the discussion here.) Thanks for your notes, it is an interesting setup.
by aterry » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:09 pm
My old DSL modem died and I needed to replace it. Yes, DSL is trailing edge technology--I see why Sonic is putting so much capital into fiber.

I found what other people mentioned--almost nobody makes DSL modems or modem-routers, and those who do seem to target the ISP market. After tons of looking, I did find a viable alternative. I got the Netis DL4323 modem-router combo. The only place I found it at was Amazon, but it is sold by and shipped by Amazon at a fair price, so it isn't a dodgy 3rd party seller hoping they will get lucky.

I already had an Amplifi mesh router that works well for me, so all I really want is a modem. The netis lets you turn off wifi in the setup. No bridge mode or other fussing is needed.

The DL4323 seems to have hit the market in 2014, but there are firmware updates up to 2020.

It is a surprisingly geeky setup, it is a level down in the weeds more than other modems/router I have used. It starts by wanting to know the ISP's PVC (VPI / CPI). I had to search those acronyms and let it discover the channel values for itself. It defaults to PPPoE/PPPoA connection. I set it to dynamic IP instead. It wanted to know the connection type. I accepted the default of 1483 MER IP LLC since this is a level of networking I've never needed to deal with. Authentication is WPS-PSK/WPA2-PSK. After that set up, it worked like a champ with the Amplifi.

There is no manual on the netis site, but I found one on manuals.com for the 4311 which says it applies to a number of other models, including the 4323.

I've run it a week and all is well. Hope this helps somebody else. And hope Sonic can get fiber out to Sacramento before some other piece of the DSL delivery chain dies a permanent death.
15 posts Page 2 of 2