Slow Sonic DNS Updates

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by fssbob » Tue May 31, 2022 11:14 pm
I'm a Sonic customer, and a web developer. When I update DNS settings for a client, it takes far longer for the update to reach Sonic's nameservers than it does for any others I know of. Regardless of the TTL, it seems to take Sonic 2-3 times as long as any other nameserver I check with.

Why does it take so long? And is there any automated way I can request a refresh/update for a particular domain when necessary?

Thanks.
by ngufra » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:41 am
Have you tried https://www.whatsmydns.net ?
How often are you changing dns? is it some kind of dynamic dns with a 1s TTL?
by fssbob » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:15 pm
Yes, I use whatsmydns.net frequently. When I make a change, it always shows the change at all locations quickly, but Sonic's DNS still doesn't update until--typically--24 hours later.

No, nothing special about the DNS changes. Typical TTL is 4 hours. And, as I mentioned, I see the update about when I would expect--except for Sonic, which typically doesn't get updated until much later.

When you ask "How often are you changing DNS?"--it's not that I have one site that's changing DNS frequently. I have lots of clients, and from time-to-time there's a need to make a DNS change for one or another of them.
by ngufra » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:53 pm
Just making sure.
BEFORE you change the dns record, you adjust down just the TTL to e.g. 1 second.
Then on the day of the change (allow enough time for all the servers to have queried the new value/ttl) you adjust the ip (and you can increase again ttl to e.g. 86400 (1 day)
Then when using nslookup with sonic main dns server (50.0.1.1) or secondary (50.0.2.2) you get the expired value (cached longer that you requested) while if you used google (8.8.8.8) you do get the expected value ?

Where is the main dns? sonic itself or godaddy or something else?
by fssbob » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:39 pm
I'm afraid none of the hosts I work with would allow me to set a TTL that short.

Re main DNS: A variety of registrars/hosts. Hover, Network Solutions, GoDaddy, HostGator, Site District, others. Same problem with DNS changes made on any of them.

Re nslookup: When I had this problem about a week ago, I used Sonic nslookup. It returned the correct (updated) address for the site in question. However, that wasn't the actual IP being served--again, until about 24 hours later.

Is the "Non-authoritative answer" value returned by Sonic nslookup definitely the address that Sonic DNS is serving? If yes, then I'm wondering if what I'm really experiencing is a local caching issue, although that doesn't seem to make sense since I've experienced the same thing on multiple devices, and when switching to other DNS's everything was fine.
5 posts Page 1 of 1