Would Sonic's downtown Santa Rosa fiber network continue to function during an extended power outage?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by artontap » Tue May 31, 2022 7:17 pm
About a couple years ago wildfires caused power shutoffs in Sonoma county that lasted days. Many of the cell towers failed because their battery backups only lasted 36 hours or so. While I understand that Sonic fiber is an entirely different type of network, I was wondering if it would suffer a similar fate in the event of an extended power outage.

As for my end of things, I am pretty well prepared to keep the Sonic ONT powered up. A UPS for outages lasting hours, and a car battery plus inverter for ones lasting days.
by dane » Tue May 31, 2022 8:10 pm
Yes, our fiber network is resilient. Primary equipment is all located in central office and data center facilities, which have perpetual generator power backup.

This is compared with a Fiber to the Node (UVerse) or hybrid-fiber-coax (Cable) ntype etworks, both of which have hundreds of node cabinets scattered across a city. Each has batteries, but they provide support for a limited duration, and generators cannot be deployed to all of them at the same time in case of a large scale power outage.

A passive optical network avoids these risks by limiting the active electronic equipment to centralized facilities with long battery backup time and generators.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1