What is Sonic's position on ATT dumping copper service?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by davideo » Tue May 10, 2022 8:44 pm
I have a Fusion connection and would be left high and dry if the PUC allows ATT to stop providing the service that Sonic uses for DSL.

I would hope that Sonic has filed opposition at the PUC, and spoken with other similarly situated ISPs to encourage their opposition.

Does Sonic have plans to bring fiber to areas where its Fusion customers are?
by dane » Wed May 11, 2022 11:48 am
Sonic is constantly expanding our fiber-optic network reach, and today about 60% of our customers are connected on Sonic owned fiber facilities.

While the FCC has allowed forbearance, and we have petitioned for reconsideration of that order, the sunset of the leasing of copper to competitive carriers is still some years away. And it's certainly possible, even likely, that a commercial arrangement will be achieved to allow that arrangement to continue.

Note that AT&T's own exit from some POTS voice services in some areas has no bearing on Sonic - we operate our own equipment, and simply lease the wire.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by davideo » Wed May 11, 2022 12:10 pm
Thanks for replying, Dane.

I posted this because I wasn't sure you were aware of AT&T application # A.21-05-007 to the CPUC. I'm told by fellow activists that this is a plan to discontinue copper landline service. While it's true that Fusion service doesn't depend on ATT voice switching, it does depend on the continued maintenance of the copper network.

I spoke with an AT&T repairman about this. He confirmed to me that they do plan to abandon the copper network. I thought it critically important that you be aware of this.

--A very satisfied long-time Sonic customer.
by dane » Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 pm
davideo wrote:Thanks for replying, Dane.

I posted this because I wasn't sure you were aware of AT&T application # A.21-05-007 to the CPUC. I'm told by fellow activists that this is a plan to discontinue copper landline service. While it's true that Fusion service doesn't depend on ATT voice switching, it does depend on the continued maintenance of the copper network.
No, this is a misunderstanding of that proceeding. AT&T is just seeking to exit the resale of Frontier phone service where they've historically done that in some limited Frontier territories. No bearing on us, our customers, or typical AT&T customers at all.
I spoke with an AT&T repairman about this. He confirmed to me that they do plan to abandon the copper network. I thought it critically important that you be aware of this.
Yes, AT&T eventually wants to kill POTS voice (and replace it with IP services) and in areas where they have newer technologies such as fiber and fixed wireless, to retire the old copper eventually too. The former has no bearing on us, and the latter is a long way out, and has less and less relevance to our customers as we continue to migrate more and more to Sonic fiber.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1