Location of transition box & ONT / changing location of ONT?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by nobaq » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:45 am
I have moved into a new home and last week a technician came to install the "drop".
I have seen today that a fiber cable has been ran to my house and it ends outside (there's a box where PG&E is for example). (EDIT: I did not see a transition box yet)
  • Where will the transition box & ONT be installed,
  • how will this be decided and
  • which options do I have to change their location afterwards?
I definitely do not want to have this installed outside (security and I may want to add a UPS afterwards and in the end, I would like to have it close to my future "computer room/closet").

Since I have not even moved in yet, I do not know where the best location for my router (and later "computer room/closet") will be. But probably I'd prefer to have sufficient fiber that can be routed in the crawl space to any location. I definitely do not want to have the ONT at some random location and use a CAT5 cable to get where I want to.

On Sunday, I have planned my installation (where the ONT will be installed).

What shall I do to have most flexibility for the transition box & ONT location?

EDIT: I just realized there is a "Transition box" as well. Is this fully passive? Can it be located inside as well (for example, in crawl space)
by dane » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:54 am
There is generally an outdoor to indoor transition box which would be located generally where the existing other utilities arrive. It’s passive, and just provides a location for testing and allows for the transition from the hardened drop cable to an indoor cable.

The installer will bring that indoor cable to a mutually agreed location inside, and you can position a UPS there. That’ll be figured out during your installation appointment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1