port forwarding

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by goldensquirrel » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:11 am
We've just switched to Sonic at our pub.

Everything is good except that our camera system will no longer forward to our phone Apps.

Hours on phone with both Sonic and the camera system providers (AvertX). Our Router didn't act normally from the beginning (I've switched my other restaurant and my home to Sonic, and never had any problems accessing WiFi, but had to call Sonic to get help getting WiFi going on the new router).

The camera company swear that all the settings look correct, and that it's an ISP/router issue that is causing Port Forwarding to be blocked. Sonic swears that none of the Port forwarding is blocked on their service, but they apparently don't offer help with Port Forwarding. Sonic's recommendation is that I post on this Forums site to see if anyone has had similar issues?

We have Fiber, and Sonic gave us a Smart/RG router (model SR515ac).

I'm not terrible with tech, but this is beyond me-wondering if anyone has ideas?

Since AvertX can't figure the problem out, and Sonic doesn't offer help with Port Forwarding, my next thought is to try a different router and return the rented one to Sonic.

Please advise if you have any thoughts?

Thanks! Chris
by ngufra » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:27 pm
Hi Chris

We have a residential service with sonic. Not sure how different is a business connection.
The port forwarding works fine for us.
On fiber STATIC IP IS NOT OFFERED whilst it is available on DSL circuits.

I am using my own router (running pfSense) but port forwarding should be working.
Can you post screenshot (hide the part that are identifying) and more details about the camera system requirements?

The forum has been able to help people in the past. I strongly suspect it's configuration issue and not a limitation on sonic service.

There is some generic information on setting up port forwarding on avertx website at https://www.avertx.com/faqs/how-do-i-se ... -recorder/

The port forwarding instruction for your router would be at https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... RG-SR515AC under virtual servers.

I found the instructions for this router series at lanminds https://www.lmi.net/wp-content/uploads/ ... l_v3_5.pdf
In particular page 47 (static leases) and 50-51 (virtual servers) are relevant.

You need to set a static lease for the mac address of your cameras recorder to a fixed local ip e.g. 192.168.1.2 and then in the virtual servers you can set port forwarding from the outside on a specific port e.g. 8443 to that fixed local ip 192.168.1.2 on a specific port e.g. 443 so that if someone connects to your sonic assigned public ip on 8443, they end up on your cameras recorder on 443 (ssl)
The part missing is how do you know the sonic assigned public ip (as on fiber it won't be static) This is where dynamic dns comes to the rescue. You can get free dynamic ip for example at noip.com so that you have a name that will always resolve to your sonic public ip.
Good luck
-Francois
by ragsram » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:58 pm
Here was my issue with port forwarding and its resolution.

I was trying to set-up port forwarding to a Windows 10 Desktop. The issue for me was the Windows Defender Firewall. I allowed the app (Windows Remote Desktop) on Windows Defender Firewall. I had changed the Windows Remote Desktop default port number and the port forwarding did not work. Once I changed the Windows Remote Desktop port back to its default port number and then set-up the external and internal ports in Port Forwarding in Eero, the port forwarding worked fine.
by ngufra » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:17 pm
Even on a custom port (what port did you use? over 10000?) i would not allow remote desktop connection from outside the lan.

I would setup a vpn (like openvpn) then you don't need to open ports for remote desktop, you will be inside the lan already.

Have you tried remotedesktop.google.com? this lets you do something very similar to remote desktop but i think is safer and works in chrome.
by davygrvy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:02 pm
Port triggering doesn't seem to be the same as port forwarding:
https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... triggering

I would suggest you replace the router with something more capable that supports UPnP forwarding as well. My goto would be a Linksys WRT1900ACS or 3200, but this is me.
by js9erfan » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:53 am
goldensquirrel wrote:We've just switched to Sonic at our pub.

I'm not terrible with tech, but this is beyond me-wondering if anyone has ideas?

Since AvertX can't figure the problem out, and Sonic doesn't offer help with Port Forwarding, my next thought is to try a different router and return the rented one to Sonic.

Please advise if you have any thoughts?

Thanks! Chris
Yes, stop opening ports for a camera 8-)

Setup a vpn for remote access or move to a camera provider like Axis who provides cloud based monitoring - see here.

I have used Axis cameras for years and they're solid. I put all cameras in an isolated vlan and block access to the internet since I prefer managing them over vpn... That said, the cloud based monitoring option would probably be much easier if you don't want the hassle of configuring a vpn, etc.
6 posts Page 1 of 1