How to upgrade to 10gb

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 1 of 7
by asitu387 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:54 pm
Current have soinc 1gb. How can I check if I can upgrade to 10gb?
by dane » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:06 pm
Upgrades are not yet available, but we are working towards it now. You can expect a “Request Upgrade” tool to become available soon.

While there is no additional monthly fee for 10Gbps service, you can expect a one-time fee for the equipment swap in the CO and premise. Target figure at this point is $299.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joeyyung911 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:03 pm
What's the equipment for on-the-premise?

Possible for a trial-run when available?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dane » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:31 pm
After the CO like card is upgraded to a new model that supports both XGS-PON and GPON, The customer premise Adtran 411 GPON ONT is swapped for a 621 XGS-PON device.

It’s a complex process for a number of reasons. First, in the CO, the power usage of the new interface cards is higher, requiring some cabinet and shelf power augments. Then, we want to assure that we have adequate demand for upgrades to help offset CO card cost in each neighborhood. And once upgrades are being made, you’ve got to fully integrate and automate the software that manages the configuration of voice and date for an account on the platform when the customer unplugs the old equipment and connects the new.

It’s a process. We’re working on it. First to see it done will be folks in parts of Northeast San Francisco and Oakland, where XGS-PON combo cards are already deployed, but we were still working on CPE interop, so the premise side is the older equipment.

Market testing with that cohort will tell us more about the appetite for upgrades currently. This is key because if of the cost of the CO-side equipment. We have to determine if there is adequate demand to allow for full-CO “forklift” upgrades where all cards are swapped, or if we will instead groom customers to new equipment (“cap and grow”) to effectuate upgrades.

This is all made more complex by the current issues with availability of customer premise routing and switching equipment at 10Gbps, not to mention computers with >1Gbps interfaces and Ethernet premise wiring, and WiFi access points. (Find me a single router with 10Gbps WAN, 10Gbps LAN, WiFi 6e and mesh capabilities — when that arrives we’ll be in better shape. Today this requires three separate devices, costing over $1,000 in total.)

With all of those constraints, it’s going to be an ongoing process for some time before all of the 10Gbps elements reach full maturity. But Sonic is leading the way.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jfa_roy » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:03 pm
dane wrote:Market testing with that cohort will tell us more about the appetite for upgrades currently. This is key because if of the cost of the CO-side equipment. We have to determine if there is adequate demand to allow for full-CO “forklift” upgrades where all cards are swapped, or if we will instead groom customers to new equipment (“cap and grow”) to effectuate upgrades.
If you're looking to get market information, why not setup a program for people to make a deposit for upgrades? I've funded my fair share of sometimes expensive Kickstarters; I'd actually be more than happy to put money down up front to help build a better network for my home and neighborhood. I don't know if there are regulatory hurdles around that.
by dane » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:30 pm
jfa_roy wrote:
dane wrote:Market testing with that cohort will tell us more about the appetite for upgrades currently. This is key because if of the cost of the CO-side equipment. We have to determine if there is adequate demand to allow for full-CO “forklift” upgrades where all cards are swapped, or if we will instead groom customers to new equipment (“cap and grow”) to effectuate upgrades.
If you're looking to get market information, why not setup a program for people to make a deposit for upgrades? I've funded my fair share of sometimes expensive Kickstarters; I'd actually be more than happy to put money down up front to help build a better network for my home and neighborhood. I don't know if there are regulatory hurdles around that.
Yes, that'll be the method, using a new "Request upgrade" interface. Members will be able to pre-order an upgrade, authorizing the one-time payment for the new equipment. We'll aggregate that demand and be able to prioritize upgrades in the areas with the most interest. The actual charge would be made upon shipment of the new equipment to you.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by medina4470 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:02 pm
Telecom nerd here. Any chance you are using the Adtran Combo PON OLT Access Module? https://www.adtran.com/solutions/search ... undle.html

I read an old post that Adtran is used for an OLT so just curious. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3389
by dane » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:36 pm
medina4470 wrote:Telecom nerd here. Any chance you are using the Adtran Combo PON OLT Access Module? https://www.adtran.com/solutions/search ... undle.html

I read an old post that Adtran is used for an OLT so just curious. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3389
Yep, that’s the central office line card that is used for 10Gbps service. It supports both 1Gbps (GPON), as well as the 10Gbps (XGS-PON) platform.

By swapping a current GPON card for the new combo interface in a chassis slot in the CO, all current services and equipment are supported, but then it’s then possible to swap any customer side equipment (and simultaneously the full configuration of the account services etc) and accomplish a seamless transition.

Big project though. And very expensive. But our decision has been to provide 10Gbps service for the same $40 price that we charge for 1Gbps, or for uncapped DSL for that matter. One price, but different speeds based upon what’s available with the equipment which serves each location. DSL until we build fiber, etc.

So instead of selling 10Gbps for a higher monthly price, members will be able to request an upgrade of the equipment that serves their home and that is deployed in the home for a one-time charge. Long run, I believe that this is a fair approach allows us to keep prices as low as possible.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by medina4470 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:31 pm
dane wrote:
medina4470 wrote:Telecom nerd here. Any chance you are using the Adtran Combo PON OLT Access Module? https://www.adtran.com/solutions/search ... undle.html

Yep, that’s the central office line card that is used for 10Gbps service. It supports both 1Gbps (GPON), as well as the 10Gbps (XGS-PON) platform.

By swapping a current GPON card for the new combo interface in a chassis slot in the CO, all current services and equipment are supported, but then it’s then possible to swap any customer side equipment (and simultaneously the full configuration of the account services etc) and accomplish a seamless transition.

Big project though. And very expensive. But our decision has been to provide 10Gbps service for the same $40 price that we charge for 1Gbps, or for uncapped DSL for that matter. One price, but different speeds based upon what’s available with the equipment which serves each location. DSL until we build fiber, etc.

So instead of selling 10Gbps for a higher monthly price, members will be able to request an upgrade of the equipment that serves their home and that is deployed in the home for a one-time charge. Long run, I believe that this is a fair approach allows us to keep prices as low as possible.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Dane. I can imagine that being a pretty lengthy and expensive process since it has to take place at all COs.
by ayn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:37 pm
I would jump on 10G upgrade for $299, just expressing interest. ;)
66 posts Page 1 of 7