How to upgrade to 10gb

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 5 of 7
by ownitrx » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:19 pm
I love Sonic, but I don't think paying the same for less service is fair. I'm very close to canceling my service and reordering so I can get 10 Gig. this is a glaring service hole, you're facing at Sonic.

Fix this!!!
by joeyyung911 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:16 pm
ownitrx wrote:I love Sonic, but I don't think paying the same for less service is fair. I'm very close to canceling my service and reordering so I can get 10 Gig. this is a glaring service hole, you're facing at Sonic.

Fix this!!!
Pretty sure someone else "subsidized" you to be able to have 1Gb in the first place. I was one of them, paying for 6Mb DSL at the same price. So many whiners here.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dhamsher » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:18 pm
@Dane any updates on process for upgrading in SF?
by mkbhatia » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:35 am
I would also be very interested in this upgrade path for basic Internet 10gb line.
by brwillia » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:42 pm
I know the upgrade tool is "coming," but I'm very tempted to trade ONTs with my buddy who doesn't have any 10 Gbit networking gear yet. He lives only a few blocks away.
by joeyyung911 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:00 pm
What's the point of swapping ONTs when your (Sonic) side probably ain't 10gb?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dhamsher » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:13 pm
@Dane, please, this is my fourth time asking. can you give us info on upgrade to 10g in SF? ATT currently has better service in the area. I will wait for you for a bit as i prefer your service, but i can't wait forever! a little love here would be great. Thanks.
by psireau » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:44 am
I'm in the same boat, with AT&T offering 5gbps for $180 (vs 1gbps for $50 from Sonic).

I'm not sure it's worth the price difference (or the hassle of switching ISP) despite my home network already being 10gbps all around. I would definitely be willing to pay the few hundred dollars of the one-time upgrade fee to get 10gbps from Sonic though, so I'm eagerly waiting for upgrades to become available. Maybe too eagerly as I've been checking these forums weekly hoping for updates on that front...

It was said upgrades would first be available to customers in areas where the CO already has XGS-PON combo cards, which was previously stated as encompassing ~4,000 customers in Oakland and SF's Cow Hollow / Lower Pacific Heights areas, and as far as I know this hasn't even started yet (if it has, it hasn't been talked about here). Since my neighborhood was one of the first ones to get fiber in San Francisco, back in 2016, I'm guessing my CO is all GPON so I'll have to wait even longer for upgrades to start happening. Realistically, we probably shouldn't expect upgrades until well into 2023 - at the earliest.

It makes sense that Sonic wants to prioritize expanding their coverage area rather than upgrading existing customers, which wouldn't bring more money. And while there's a risk of existing areas falling behind the competition and losing customers as a result, I don't think we're anywhere close to that happening as far as the average Joe is concerned. Still, I agree it would be nice to have timeline estimates on upgrades.
by qiuwn002 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:39 pm
May I ask how "Soon" will the upgrade option become available in SF sunset district? Also if I remap my ethernet cable, should I upgrade from cat5e to cat6, or to cat8?
by js9erfan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:27 am
qiuwn002 wrote:May I ask how "Soon" will the upgrade option become available in SF sunset district? Also if I remap my ethernet cable, should I upgrade from cat5e to cat6, or to cat8?
I wired my house with cat 6a a couple years ago. Its pretty thick making the runs a bit tougher but happy I went with it. Depending on the length of your runs you should go cat 6 at a minimum assuming you're future proofing for 10G.

https://community.fs.com/blog/should-we ... ase-t.html
66 posts Page 5 of 7