How to upgrade to 10gb

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 2 of 7
by dane » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:43 pm
ayn wrote:I would jump on 10G upgrade for $299, just expressing interest. ;)
Thanks! It'll be really interesting to see how many customers are willing to spend that one-time fee to get the most modern equipment. Across the entire network, it's be a project which will cost roughly $10M, and given that there's no monthly price change, we've got to build a win/win path to that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:28 pm
$299 would be a great upgrade price ... particularly as I have to 2 down/1 up service which costs an extra $50. Upgrading to 10/10 will break-even for me in 6 months, and then be cheaper. Kind of crazy.
by sonicnetsev » Wed May 04, 2022 12:02 am
I can't justify $300 for 10Gigabit but the price is pretty fair. Wish I had gotten it direct when they installed at my place but it wasn't available at the time in San Mateo as far as I know.
My home equipment can't even handle 10gigabit but I seriously love Sonic. Thank you for pushing the limit of broadband and letting us escape from Comcast & AT&T
by itsalann » Wed May 04, 2022 1:17 pm
Jesus, $299 one time cost to upgrade to uncapped 10G fiber? I’d pay Sonic $2999 one time charge to upgrade our Sonic resold AT&T 1G fiber to Sonic 10G anyday.

Dane, are there any future upgrade paths for us AT&T resold commoner folks, or are we SOL?
by angeldemirev » Wed May 04, 2022 2:53 pm
I can't wait to be a new Sonic customer in the Mission, SF in a week and a half. Sadly I think I'll be on regular 1Gbps based on the website where I signed up, but I'd paid $500 - $800 to upgrade to 10Gbps if it were available.
by jfa_roy » Wed May 04, 2022 3:46 pm
I'd pay several hundred dollars without second thoughts to upgrade to 10G. It will make a meaningful difference to my work every single day and pay for itself in productivity quickly.
by cmeisel » Thu May 05, 2022 7:56 am
I wonder @Dane, if you can ask in a way that gages their willingness to pay. I have many older neighbors who will never need 10G. but if there is an option to pick to contribute more, I would (if it means getting it vs. not). So why not set the tool up in a way that shows the total goal for a neighbor to upgrade to 10G and where it currently is. That would allow some people to contribute more to make sure the goal is reached.
by lenraphael » Sun May 08, 2022 2:17 pm
Pleasantly surprised that my new install was 10gb when I expected only 1gb in my area.

Please point me to posts listing 10gb thruput hardware firewalls. I like Checkpoints, but for 10gb they're over $10k.

Len Raphael
Oakland CA
by dane » Tue May 10, 2022 10:56 am
lenraphael wrote:Pleasantly surprised that my new install was 10gb when I expected only 1gb in my area.

Please point me to posts listing 10gb thruput hardware firewalls. I like Checkpoints, but for 10gb they're over $10k.

Len Raphael
Oakland CA
There's a Ubiquiti router that can be had for around $400. There's another thread here in the forum on that topic.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lenraphael » Mon May 16, 2022 3:05 pm
for reasons unknown, my IT buddy does not like Ubiquiti for anything other than wifi ap's.

he's ok with trying either the lower cost (500$) Asus device which only has a couple of 10gb ports and seems like not doing packet inspection; or the $2,700 Sonicwall that has several 10 gb ports and full range firewall functions.

is there anything special about Sonic.net's 10gb other than fixed IP addresses are not available, that I have to know to make sure the firewall device is compatible with Sonic.net service? e.g. something about protocol you use?

Sonicwall NSa 3700
Interfaces1 x console - RJ-45, 1 x management - RJ-45, 2 x USB 3.0 - Type A, 24 x 1000Base-T - RJ-45, 4 x 5Gb Ethernet - SFP+, 6 x 10GBase-X - SFP+
66 posts Page 2 of 7