Fiber, Please

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 1 of 3
by lincolnspector » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 am
Hi, folks.

What would it take to get FTTH in Albany (and maybe Berkeley)?

Lincoln
by dane » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 pm
lincolnspector wrote:Hi, folks.

What would it take to get FTTH in Albany (and maybe Berkeley)?

Lincoln
Roughly speaking, Fusion market uptake drives Fiber-to-the-home deployment. Albany is about 1/2 way to the level of uptake that could make a fiber build-out feasible.

Berkeley isn't doing as well as Albany in uptake, so there's further to go there.

We'll be releasing more information about our Fiber-to-the-home projects in the next quarter or so.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lincolnspector » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:04 am
Thanks for the quick reply, Dane.

So how many more Albany residents (or as I like to call ourselves, Albanians) need to sign up?

Lincoln
by dane » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:17 pm
lincolnspector wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, Dane.

So how many more Albany residents (or as I like to call ourselves, Albanians) need to sign up?

Lincoln
Somewhere from 1,500 to 2,000, really roughly.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 am
Given the wire map in Albany, Fusion speeds does not run at top speed.

Current signups may not be not a good indicator of fiber signups. Sure, your first customers would be switchers. But the next wave would be people for whom Fusion was not previously competitive. Perhaps a better metric would be community: how effectively can you reach those potential customers? In the East Bay I'd say that in Kensington you clearly could, as it's a small place with a tight active community and a newspaper that's actively read (and a toxic desire for cell tower alternatives). Albany a bit less. And Berkeley less than that. Point Richmond might be good in the same way that Kensington is.
by leafnunes » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:08 pm
This Berkeley customer with between .2 and .5 Mbps down would pay quite a bit more to keep supporting Sonic if fiber made it to Berkeley, and would be far more vocal a word-of-mouth advertiser.
by dwald » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 pm
Yes please. As an Albany resident I would love to be able to have a Fiber line. My Fusion line is good, but Fiber would be awesome.

What is the Fusion base subscriber number in Albany now?
by poningru » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:07 pm
After seeing this I signed up for fusion (dual wanning with comcast), as a berkeley resident I'm begging you please bring fiber here, honestly fttn or fttc over vdsl2 is all I need but please bring us some fibery goodness.
I'm 3.3 km from the co and just signed up in hopes of atleast 1.5mbps, but dont expect that to happen.
by dane » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:58 pm
poningru wrote:After seeing this I signed up for fusion (dual wanning with comcast), as a berkeley resident I'm begging you please bring fiber here, honestly fttn or fttc over vdsl2 is all I need but please bring us some fibery goodness.
I'm 3.3 km from the co and just signed up in hopes of atleast 1.5mbps, but dont expect that to happen.
Thanks for the vote of support. Berkeley and Albany are cities where we've had a very good take rate, which makes them good candidates for fiber. We will be working on analysis and eventually will release per-city rankings which will help consumers understand where we stand for each community. Our goal is to bring fiber to every city, and it's completely achievable if enough members of the public adopt our service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kevinmcm » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:19 pm
I don't trust Comcast at all and I find their contracts offensive but paying Sonic.net $120 per month for 7Mbps is just as bad. You're not going to retain DSL customers for another 10 years while you slowly roll out fiber. You need investment money to speed this up. Anyone who knows 2D geometry also knows that VDSL is no solution unless you can get into the neighborhood U-verse cabinets.
26 posts Page 1 of 3