Best home solution to access 10GBe fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
34 posts Page 2 of 4
by artakamoose » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:41 pm
There are a few more Unifi switches that can be considered:

Switch Flex XG ($299)
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi- ... fi-flex-xg

Switch XG 6 PoE ($599)
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi- ... us-xg-6poe

Also, most of the Switch Enterprise line gets you part way there with 2.5GbE ports (the SE XG 24 is 24 x 10GbE with 2x 25G SFP28).
by looserocks » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:37 am
Can a unmanaged media converter (10G baseT to SFP+) be placed between the Adtran 621x gateway and a router?

I would use the Netgate 6100 with a copper SFP+ but the firmware in that thing is borked so it will not recognize them.
by dane » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:48 pm
looserocks wrote:Can a unmanaged media converter (10G baseT to SFP+) be placed between the Adtran 621x gateway and a router?

I would use the Netgate 6100 with a copper SFP+ but the firmware in that thing is borked so it will not recognize them.
Can’t see why not.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pcowan » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:29 pm
Curious if anyone has experience or thoughts about QNAP QHora-301W? Seems to be configurable to have a 10GbE WAN and LAN as well as WiFi 6.
by dane » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:07 am
pcowan wrote:Curious if anyone has experience or thoughts about QNAP QHora-301W? Seems to be configurable to have a 10GbE WAN and LAN as well as WiFi 6.
Unclear to me exactly how they're positioning this product. Seems to be focused on enterprise SD-WAN. But let us know if you learn more, it does sound like the hardware has at least the right plugs. Can it achieve full-speed throughput, etc?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by realyang87 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:20 pm
dane wrote:
bobfff wrote:I just learned about the following 10Gb switch and wondered if anyone has experience with it:

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi- ... fi-flex-xg

Thanks!

Bob
That’d be fine for a 10G switch, but you also need a router to go in front of it. The same vendor’s Dream Machine Pro is the only reasonably priced one that I know of. And it only gives a single 10G port, so you’d need the switch too.

https://store.ui.com/products/udm-pro

The the config would be:

Sonic Fiber Optical Network Terminal
|
Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro
| \\\\\\\\
| Up to eight 1G connected devices
|
Ubiquity 10G switch
/ | \
Up to three 10G connected devices

If you need more than three 10G-capable (or 2.5Gbps or 5Gbps), you could chain another 10G switch, which would gain you two additional usable 10G ports for each switch you chain.

What I’m not finding in the Ubiquity product line is any WiFi access points that uplink at >1Gbps. I know that Orbi and Netgear (which are fully integrated routers and access points in one) do, but those devices don’t output 10Gbps on the wired side.

The Ubiquity setup above does, but what access points to pair it with?
There's currently only one UI access point that is greater than 1Gbps, which is the Access Point WiFi 6 Enterprise with a 2.5Gbps port. It is also the first offering with WiFi 6E. But it's in UI's Early Access program.

My current setup is similar to your suggested config:
UDM Pro -> USW-Pro-Aggregation -> USW-Enterprise-24-POE -> U6-Enterprise and other access points.

The USW-Enterprise-24-POE has twelve 1Gbps POE ports and twelves 2.5Gbps POE ports. I have one U6-Enterprise, one U6-Professional and two U6-Lites in my setup.

I think 1Gbps or 2.5Gbps for access points is plenty for now. Anyone trying to intentionally access >1Gbps is really those that want the best (especially latency) and would always prefer a hard link. I assume not many residential customers would come close to saturating 10Gbps, 2.5Gbps or even 1Gbps wirelessly. As for business customers, they would have multiple access points strategically spread out.

I currently have Sonic's AT&T 1Gbps fusion service and my setup is definitely an overkill, but I have the setup mainly for accessing my NAS at 10Gbps. I'm looking forward to the 10Gbps rollout so I can justify my overkill (and overpriced) network to my partner.
by patlee » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:22 am
I saw that new Eero Pro 6E with a 2.5GB port available. Will the ONT 10G port support 2.5G on the Eero Pro 6E? I am thinking that would at least give me a boost on the home wifi speeds above 1G.
by dane » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:25 pm
patlee wrote:I saw that new Eero Pro 6E with a 2.5GB port available. Will the ONT 10G port support 2.5G on the Eero Pro 6E? I am thinking that would at least give me a boost on the home wifi speeds above 1G.
Yes, and Sonic is working with Eero in hopes that we will be able to provide this product to our customers. But so far, they've got production quantity constraints and have declined to provide us with any equipment. Yes, I'm not happy about that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ifurita » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:01 pm
Trying to setup a QNAP QHora-301W but cannot get a connection to the internet. Tested with my phone with USB to Ethernet adapter tethering and it works fine. Anyway to log into the modem to look at the logs or set to bridge mode?
by dane » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:54 pm
For third-party hardware, you’d need to engage with their support. I googled it and found this link: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/support-ticket/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
34 posts Page 2 of 4