Neighbor has 10G, I'm "only" eligible for 1G via ATT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by adamhupp » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:34 pm
I have Sonic 1Gbps fiber (through ATT) at my home. My next-door neighbor is eligible for 10Gbps, but my address is not. From speaking to support it sounds like the issue is that some large trees have forced the utility poles too far apart and the fiber can't make it to my home (and also down the rest of the street).

I'd like to get a better understanding of what the constraints are, both so I can possibly fix it (maybe getting the city to put a new pole in?), and because I'm just curious. What kinds of limits are there on running the fiber between poles?

Thanks in advance,
Adam
by dane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:00 am
Looking at our GIS and the satellite views and street view of the area, it looks like your home may be serviced by underground utilities. Is there a pole line behind your homes, on private property? That seems to be what I'm seeing in the records, but it's difficult to resolve from the satellite imagery. And looking at all of the street view imagery from the streets around yours, I don't see how that likely back-of-lot pole line is interconnected, so it may be underground.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by adamhupp » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:52 pm
My utility pole is in the rear of the house. I've attached a photo showing the layout: The red circle marks the pole that serves my neighbor (that is eligible). The blue circle marks the pole that serves my home (the ATT+Sonic fiber). Thanks!

Adam

Attachments

by dane » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:16 pm
Looking at street view, it looked to me like your neighbor is actually served from a pole at the front of their home. We are not on those rear poles. And looking at the satellite view, it looks like it might be an isolated aerial strand. I couldn't find an aerial interconnection to the NE or the SW.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by adamhupp » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:25 pm
Ahh, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying.
5 posts Page 1 of 1