Sonic.net IPv6 / 6RD Details?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 2 of 2
by digitalbitstream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:54 pm
dane wrote:
digitalbitstream wrote:IPv6 addressing. Eventually there will be no more v4 addresses, and it will be important to be able to "speak" IPv6.
Eventually. But we've got a way to go before any major website or consumer facing will be ipv6 only.
I hope that Sonic's ipv6 will come with a strong firewall, given the apparent loss of the protection offered by NAT.
by kgc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:22 pm
Yes, we were just talking about that this AM in fact. Our leased equipment will support stateful v6 firewalling out of the box - although I don't have any additional details at this time.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dane » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 am
This is a really good point. If you were to configure IPv6 6RD on a router which did not incorporate stateful firewalling, this would open up a security risk.

This was an important part of our config, firewalling is critical for customer protection.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by polpo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:03 pm
Reminds me of the ASUS RT-N66U I have. Until recently, there was no firewall on IPv6 at all. I think they finally rolled out a firmware update that enables the firewall.
15 posts Page 2 of 2