How to configure BGW320-505 for passthrough?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 2 of 2
by ngufra » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:20 am
Are there scenarios where double NAT would be an issue for you?
For most users, I think it would work fine. I ran that way for many years and although I don't do games, i had various services running, and just had to setup the port forwarding in two places.
Try to just let the asus router run behind the other one (asus WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports of main router) with default configuration and see if it works for you.
by dharalanov » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:27 pm
charles2 wrote:
dharalanov wrote: I want to use my Asus router as the only router with BGW just a "dump" modem.
Why?
Because the Asus router has some features that the BGW does not. For example, I want to use my own DNS server for system inside my house and the Asus router is capable of using a custom IP for the DNS server in the DHCP requests.
js9erfan wrote:According to reports, the BGW's passthrough mode is still maintaining NAT sessions that can limit your throughput. A workaround is to get a static IP and set the Asus as a cascaded router though I have no idea whether a static IP is even an option here.
Unfortunately, my service does not include a static IP and I don't know yet what's involved in getting one.
js9erfan wrote: With that said you might try setting both boxes to defaults to rule out any previous settings (Qos/traffic shaping) that could also be contributing to this.
I can try this before applying any custom settings.

On another note Merlin makes a 3rd party firmware for that Asus. I used a fork of it on a R7000 long ago and it was much more responsive than the default firmware. You might give it a shot to see if it improves your Asus' performance. Otherwise you might be limited to charles2 suggestion of using the BGW as a router and the Asus as an AP (it does have an AP mode...).[/quote]

I'll check it out. Thanks.
ngufra wrote:Are there scenarios where double NAT would be an issue for you?
For most users, I think it would work fine. I ran that way for many years and although I don't do games, i had various services running, and just had to setup the port forwarding in two places.
Try to just let the asus router run behind the other one (asus WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports of main router) with default configuration and see if it works for you.
Wouldn't this limit the BW? Now both routers are doing NAT? Also, I would have to use two subnets (192.168.1.x for the BGW and 192.168.2.x for the Asus)?
by ngufra » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:44 pm
ngufra wrote:
Are there scenarios where double NAT would be an issue for you?

Wouldn't this limit the BW? Now both routers are doing NAT? Also, I would have to use two subnets (192.168.1.x for the BGW and 192.168.2.x for the Asus)?
It would not limit it more.
Double NAT is exactly that: they are both doing NAT.

Say BGW is 192.168.0.1 and asus is 192.168.0.2 (on wan port) and 192.168.1.1(locally)

If you need to set port forwarding, it makes sense to set a reservation on BGW to always assign the same local IP to the asus based on its mac address.
Then if you need to open a port, on BGW you set port 8443 to be redirected to 192.168.0.2:8443 and on asus to redirect port 8443 to 192.168.1.2 (your web server)
Devices using UPNP may have trouble connecting but upnp is probably a bad idea anyway.
You may want to leave the wifi (on 5GHz band only so you don't want 2.4 GHz spectrum) opened on BGW so that if you need to configure it, you don't have any issues traversing the network from the asus subnet.
13 posts Page 2 of 2