EERO Question - Need EERO Subscription?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by gbrivkalns001 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:56 pm
So, if I want to do stuff with my router, like block sites or content, or view historical usage, etc... typical router stuff... I have to get one of those EERO "secure" or "secure +" subscriptions??

Or, is there some way I can do this stuff manually with the EERO, like you can with a normal router?

Being somewhat new at this, I guys the question I should start with is:
"Am I actually missing out on much without one of those subscriptions?"

Thanks
by charles2 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:48 pm
You will get some usage statistics in the basic, free eero app. Not from direct experience but from a Youtube video (what could be more authentic? haha), I believe that more flexible handling of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and their SSID names, and other features do require eero's paid upgrade subscription. (Edited per subsequent advice that you can do some content blocking in the basic app.)

You can start with basic eero. When you have a problem, or when you imagine something you would like to do with your wifi devices, research solutions then see whether basic eero is a roadblock to a solution. If it is, you can get a subscription -- or buy a different router, get it working, then arrange with Sonic to take the eero rental units off your Sonic account.
by gbrivkalns001 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:31 pm
Yeah, going with my own router is in my future, just to not pay the rental fees, but since I've got the $10 credit going now, no reason to rush into anything.

Currently researching viable EERO alternatives.
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 am
Hello,

There are many things you can do with the eero without a subscription. You can set parental controls so the internet will only be available at a designated window in a day and only for specific devices on the network. This can be done by adding a child profile and only telling the child devices to be affected while the other devices off that profile will have internet all day long. As far as we're aware, there is no need for an additional subscription to do this. I hope this helps.

Jeff - CES
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1