Admin Access to ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 2 of 2
by graeme_stewart » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:42 pm
Turns out this is possible, but only when directly connected to the ONT interface, since it's in bridged mode (to be expected). u/p: sonicuser

Since these ONT's have two interfaces (10/1Gb) one could connect the 10Gb interface to your router and connect the other to a switch, which would allow one to add a static route for the 192.168.1.1/32 network via whatever IP was allocated on the 1Gb interface.

The other approach would be to add a static route on the router itself, but there's a reason we all love Eero right?

Both approaches are IMHO messy, and generally not worth it, but at least it's good to know it's doable.
by gatsbylee » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:53 pm
This is my the end of the first week with 10Gbps Fiber Optic.
This is little summary I've found out.

First, I got Adtran 622v ONT.
It has "GE" and "10GE" ethernet port.

For me, the "GE" doesn't work, it doesn't get any IP from the Router.
I thought I have to use "GE" to connect to my NETGEAR R6700, but I found out that I had to use "10GE".

My computer which directly connects to the ONT sees the public ip ( not internal ip like 10.x 192.x ).
But, when I connect to my NETGEAR R6700 that connects the ONT, then I get the internal ip ( 10.x ) assigned by NETGEAR R6700.

So far, based on my understanding, although 10Gbps comes to our house, it doesn't mean we have to fully utilize the 10Gbps.
we can still use 1Gbps network equipment. ( but I found out myself that I started looking for a way to utilize it )

After I spent a week on researching on network equipment, I gave a comment to myself.
"What do you want to do?"

If your life and work style is ok with 1Gbps, don't even try to go for 10Gbps. It needs some time/energy/money.
If you decide to upgrade your network, plz start with this question. "What do I want to do NOW!!?, What is my current(not future) use case?" Those use case can help when you have to make a decision"

Thank you to Sonic Internet :D
12 posts Page 2 of 2