Bypass the ONT? 10gbps!

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by meisonic » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:13 am
New customer and so far SUPER happy with the service. I also found out about this forum and learned a lot. Super cool that the CEO goes around answering people's questions and is actually pretty technically adept.

Lucky enough that the area I moved into had 10gbps offering. Sadly there is not too much hardware out there that supports 10 gbps.

My questions are:
1. Can I bypass the ONT? I have a firewall with SFP cards, can I not just use that directly if it can support 10 gig? Does the ONT do anything else other than convert media?
2. The current ONT thats been provided has one 10GBE port and one 1 GBE port.. If I plugin one device into each, will they both get an address? Or is it only one at a time? Could I plugin two different firewalls?
3. Anyone have suggestions for 10gig hardware?
by ngufra » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:40 pm
I doubt it would work.
The ONT is loaned to you so not using it will not save you any money.
Protocol may be different even if it's optical; it may be locked on some id or mac address.

For the 1Gbps ONT, I think people have used it with a switch and connected a few devices and each gets its own public ip. I vaguely remember the limit is around 4.

For routing, I am currently using a pfsense based router on a small pc and i doubt it will scale to 10 Gbps.
netgate is working on tnsr which should scale better.
I do not know much about hardware solutions so cannot help you there.
by meisonic » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:02 am
Which netgate are you using? I was thinking about ordering the 7100U. The Firewall throughput on it hits near 10gbps based on the provided benchmarks.

I see this as an opportunity for Sonic for some additional revenue, I don't see why they don't capitalize on it. Get buncha commodity hardware, load up pfsense and loan that or sell that to people buying the 10 gig connection. :D

Also TNSR seems to be available, I'm going to contact them for their home+lab evaluation.
by ngufra » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:36 pm
Not using netgate hardware. Using a QOTOM fanless pc. (QOTOM-Q190G4-S02)

It has 4 network ports.
one is WAN to ONT, one is lan to switch, one is SPAN to a capture device, the last one is currently unused.
If works ok for basic stuff but if you enable too many services, it has trouble keeping up.
4 posts Page 1 of 1