Is support for Fusion X2 "upgrade" going away?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by fodogejo » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:20 pm
I have 11Mbs Fusion X1 service in Sunnyvale, and was considering upgrading to Fusion X2. However, that upgrade option doesn't seem available in Member Tools anymore: in fact the Sonic "Availability" page now tells me that Sonic service is "Not available" where I live (even though I have Fusion X1 service). Am I stuck with X1? Is even the X1 service coming to an end? If my apartment complex doesn't have fiber installed, does this mean I am going to lose Sonic? What happened? I feel like I've been living in a cave that last few years...
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:52 pm
Hello,

We apologize for the lack of available speed options at your location. We are working as fast as we can to expand our Fiber infrastructure to as many locations as possible. Copper based service such as X1 and X2 may still be able to be ordered manually through us but we have removed the option in areas where the infrastructure is just too antiquated and wouldn't work well. Give our support team a call and we'll see what we can do for you at your location. We can then tell you what you can expect from the service at that specific distance over 2 wire pairs. 707-547-3400. We look forward to your call. Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Jeff - CES
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by dane » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:14 pm
fodogejo wrote:I have 11Mbs Fusion X1 service in Sunnyvale, and was considering upgrading to Fusion X2. However, that upgrade option doesn't seem available in Member Tools anymore: in fact the Sonic "Availability" page now tells me that Sonic service is "Not available" where I live (even though I have Fusion X1 service). Am I stuck with X1? Is even the X1 service coming to an end? If my apartment complex doesn't have fiber installed, does this mean I am going to lose Sonic? What happened? I feel like I've been living in a cave that last few years...
Our tool attempts to provide the best upgrade for any particular location. So if for example X2 would be 20Mbps, but an IP Broadband (AT&T network) product would deliver 100Mbps, we'd offer that as the upgrade instead.

Is no upgrade offered, or just not the X2 on-net product?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fodogejo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:58 pm
No upgrade was provided. When choosing Member_Tools->Internet_Connections->Upgrade_or_Downgrade_Service, the page I am taken to says "We're sorry, no additional services were found at this location".

A few days ago, the "check availability" page https://www.sonic.com/availability told me no Sonic service was available where I live (even though I have Fusion X1), but just now it showed me that Fusion X1 and X2 were both available! So maybe I can upgrade to X2?

I'm hearing rumors of the POTS possibly going away, and DSL with it, and thought Sonic might be preemptively dropping support for X1 to X2 upgrades....
by dane » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:35 pm
Odd. But it’s working now?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fodogejo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:15 pm
The online member tools route still does not work -- says no upgrade is available. I will try to request an upgrade to X2 manually by calling the number above, suggested by syntax_sid1. Thanks.
by dane » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:48 pm
That’s odd. I’ll check with the team here.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by drew.phillips » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:14 pm
Hi fodogejo,

Someone will be reaching out to you shortly from support@sonic.net to discuss a manual upgrade.

We're unable to qualify your address with AT&T's systems due to the building & unit combination. Their own systems seem to disagree on the correct format. If we take the correct suggestion returned by their systems, it is still not accepted as a match. The same problem is happening on their own website when I try to check your location for service.

We can still process the upgrade manually if you'd like to move forward with it. Upgrading from X1 to X2 requires a new modem, and may involve re-wiring the lines at the phone box. Our sales or support team will be going over these options when they contact you.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
8 posts Page 1 of 1