ATT Fiber To The Home connection type.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by pboggini » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:25 pm
Anyone who recently switched to the ATT Fiber to the Home able to tell me how it's all connected? We have FTTN currently and I just submitted an update ticket to get Gig. I'm interested in what equipment ATT has brought to you when you added this service. Did they bring the BGW320 which has the SFP built in or did they do the separate ONT/router solution? I honestly don't mind the separate and I think it would probably be an easier install if they were separate. That and it looks like the BGW320 has a different power connector than the BGW210 I currently have so my DC UPS won't work, sigh.

If they want to go the BGW320 route, I would imagine they'd want to run the fiber to the other side of the house or, if they want to come from the same place on the house, I'd need fiber thru my attic to the router. If that was the solution, I'd be willing to get the fiber cable, run it and put up wall plates in prep so that their install would be simpler.

Anyway, just looking for some feedback on what sorts of gear you've all received from ATT in the last year or so with Fiber to the home.
by niroshansa » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:16 pm
When I had ATT Fiber before Sonic was in my neighborhood it was all packaged in the BGW320-505. They dropped the line, put a faceplate at my wall and connected fiber to the ONT part of the BGW320 and from there the modem/router does it's thing all in one, no extra equipment for me.

I have to say, it was some solid equipment both hard wired ethernet and WiFi. I didn't bridge to another router I just used their built in twi-band wifi plus a few ATT Wifi Extenders I found off of craigslist for cheap and it did the job well. I actually got better coverage and more consistent results than with my eero pro 6 does now.

Hope that helps!

Also to be clear, I opted to go straight through ATT when it originally showed that Sonic provided over ATT lines, so this may differ for you if they use other equipment. I didn't want to go through a middle man at the time and rather wait to pay sonic straight up for their (fantastic) service.
by pboggini » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:26 pm
When did ATT install it? Based on what I've heard from a co-worker, I'm guessing I'll get the BGW320 and they will need to run the fiber all the way (which means likely the other side of the house which might present a challenge but I guess I'll see).

I'm not opposed to getting that router it's just that its power input is not the typical barrel connector so I'll need to find another UPS solution which I'm bummed about.

Thanks for the info!
by charles2 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:01 pm
We got AT&T FTTH a couple of years ago.
* The installer technician ran fiber to our desired point on a wall (single story building, crawl space) and put the ONT there. The gateway/router was an Arris BGW210-700. As you know, you cannot put a third-party router in place of the Arris.
* The router had difficulty maintaining a connection to one wi-fi device. I bought a TP-Link Archer A8 and set it up as an access point, placed right next to the Arris. The troublesome wi-fi device became no problem.
* We recently switched to native Sonic fiber. Their tech ran fiber to the same desired point and put the ONT there. The eero 6 was better than the Arris. Soon, however, I substituted the Archer A8 router in place of the eero 6. The data transfer and reliability of the connection are the best yet.
4 posts Page 1 of 1