Can I sign up for Standard Fiber? (Without voice) [Edit: YES!]

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
24 posts Page 2 of 3
by niroshansa » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 am
dfredwood wrote:From https://members.sonic.net/:
> Internet Connections
> Upgrade or Downgrade Service
> Downgrades may also be available. Click here to check for availability
> Sonic Fiber Standard 10Gbps - By checking this box I certify that I have read all the above information, and I acknowledge that I will forfeit the right to use the telephone number to be canceled above...
> Downgrade
> New Monthly Charges: Sonic Fiber Standard 10Gbps
> (remove) eero 6 2 Pack
> Continue without eero
> Review and submit your order: Sonic Fiber Product Change
> I agree to these policies
> Submit Change
> Your Service Change has been Submitted - The following service change is underway: Sonic Fiber Product Change
Thank you!!

I'm into my third free month, so I'll be billed my first actual month mid February (started service mid Nov).

Texted sonic support this was their response:

"if you don't downgrade, your charges wuold be $49.99/mo with about $12/mo in taxes. Take away $10/mo for phone service and the $12ish per month in taxes and you're left with $39.99/mo for data only"

So looking like no taxes on data only plan?! which would be awesome, truly $39.99 service from sonic!
by niroshansa » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:39 am
Not entirely sure about taxes yet, but still being able to choose just data plan is a start!
by gbrivkalns001 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm
Can you guys clarify:

Will the ability to drop the phone service be available to ALL fiber users (1 & 10 gig) or only to those who have 10 gig available in their area?

Thank!
by dane » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:38 pm
gbrivkalns001 wrote:Can you guys clarify:

Will the ability to drop the phone service be available to ALL fiber users (1 & 10 gig) or only to those who have 10 gig available in their area?

Thank!
Standard fiber is only available on the new 10 Gigabit platform. It is a limited market test at this point, to determine if we can sustain the economics of the product and the company without voice service revenue or not.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gbrivkalns001 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:05 pm
Understood, thanks!
by chris90 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:35 pm
Exactly what is "Standard Fiber"?

Thanks,
Chris
by dane » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:18 pm
chris90 wrote:Exactly what is "Standard Fiber"?

Thanks,
Chris
It is internet access ($39.99) without the phone bundle. Fusion Fiber ($49.99) is the bundle that includes the unlimited home phone. Standard Fiber is only available in a limited area today, where we have our newest equipment deployed, using XGS-PON technology.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by remi.dufour » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:56 pm
Well, then I'm eager for the 10Gb service to cover all of San Francisco :)
by ken830 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:42 pm
dane wrote:
gbrivkalns001 wrote:Can you guys clarify:

Thank!
Standard fiber is only available on the new 10 Gigabit platform. It is a limited market test at this point, to determine if we can sustain the economics of the product and the company without voice service revenue or not.
Wouldn't the economics be the same to the company if you offer Internet-only option for $49.99 (in addition to the $39.99 + $10 voice bundle)?? That way, you get the same revenue for arguably less service costs (no voice service provided) and the customer saves ~$12/month on fees for a service that is unused.
by graeme_stewart » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:48 pm
dane wrote:It is a limited market test at this point, to determine if we can sustain the economics of the product and the company without voice service revenue or not.
If it turns out you can't, please just increase the cost of standard fiber, not revert to requiring a phone line. I'm happy to pay a reasonable price for viable internet service but the regulatory fee nonsense is psychologically irritating.
24 posts Page 2 of 3