10GB hardware?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 1 of 2
by fassettfam » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:07 am
I'm told my new Sonic fiber will be up to 10gb. That would be amazing, but my current router (Eero Pro) doesn't do 10gbe.

Does anyone know of a 10gbe router which is recommended? Searching seems to be hit and miss.. it doesn't seem like there are a lot out there for the home. Anyone?
by syntaxsid1 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:15 pm
Hello,

The eero pro is the latest iteration of high speed WiFi tech but even it is only Gigabit capable (Via Ethernet). WiFi transmission speeds are still limited and this varies wildly depending on how much radio interference you have from neighboring sources around you. WiFi even with the latest wireless tech is only capable of reaching 500Mbps on average. It is theoretically possible to attain Gig speeds over WiFi but the conditions have to be very favorable to achieve this.

Until Wireless technology is developed further, the only way to actually get the full 10Gig is to connect via Ethernet directly to your computer. I hope this helps.

Take Care,

Jeff - CES
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by octernion » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:56 pm
fassettfam wrote:I'm told my new Sonic fiber will be up to 10gb. That would be amazing, but my current router (Eero Pro) doesn't do 10gbe.

Does anyone know of a 10gbe router which is recommended? Searching seems to be hit and miss.. it doesn't seem like there are a lot out there for the home. Anyone?
I’m hopeful 10gb comes to my house soon - I invested in a Unifi router specifically for 10gb (I got the UXG Pro, but their Dream Machine Pro also supports 10gb).

There are plenty of other off the shelf routers that will do 10gb natively (eg, a netgate box - just make sure it has 10gb SFP+ or 10gbe).
by medina4470 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:27 pm
octernion wrote:
fassettfam wrote:I'm told my new Sonic fiber will be up to 10gb. That would be amazing, but my current router (Eero Pro) doesn't do 10gbe.

I’m hopeful 10gb comes to my house soon - I invested in a Unifi router specifically for 10gb (I got the UXG Pro, but their Dream Machine Pro also supports 10gb).

There are plenty of other off the shelf routers that will do 10gb natively (eg, a netgate box - just make sure it has 10gb SFP+ or 10gbe).
Bought the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro earlier this year but running with AT&T's Fiber at least for now. Works fine overall (app and web interface are very modern). Have to look more into switches though and not sure how great our Cat5e will work with it.

Our computer hardware is not capable of reaching that speed as well.
by fassettfam » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:25 am
Maybe I didn't ask my question clearly enough. I have an Eero 6 pro. It's fine. I know it's not 10gbe compatible, hence my question, and yes my question was mostly about wired ethernet solutions.

So repeating my question, is there a recommended 10gbe compatible router available? This router would need to have a minimum of TWO 10gbe ports to be useful (one coming from modem, one going to an outboard 10gbe switch, if I must).

I understand WIFI will be considerably slower, thank you. Looking for the best wired performance. But every router I've found under $500 is gigabit and not 10gbe.
by fassettfam » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:27 am
Apologies as I missed the Ubiquity references. Very helpful!! I will look at those. If I understand the operation of them is pretty non-user friendly, but I'll dig in more.

Thank you!!
by octernion » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:36 am
fassettfam wrote:Apologies as I missed the Ubiquity references. Very helpful!! I will look at those. If I understand the operation of them is pretty non-user friendly, but I'll dig in more.

Thank you!!
I would say the opposite - the Unifi routers are probably one of the most (if not the most) user friendly of that class. Most other solutions will be quite a bit more involved (Mikrotik, Cisco, pfsense/opnsense etc).
by medina4470 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:38 pm
octernion wrote:
fassettfam wrote:Apologies as I missed the Ubiquity references. Very helpful!! I will look at those. If I understand the operation of them is pretty non-user friendly, but I'll dig in more.

Thank you!!
I would say the opposite - the Unifi routers are probably one of the most (if not the most) user friendly of that class. Most other solutions will be quite a bit more involved (Mikrotik, Cisco, pfsense/opnsense etc).
They've become easier over the years. Back in 2015, I had to use the Command Line Interface on one to get IPv6 working with Comcast. They gave a couple of out of the box templates but had to modify one.

Feels like an entirely different company now. Unboxed my Dream Machine Pro, plugged it in, and almost everything was done in an iOS app. Felt no different than setting up a regular consumer router.
by js9erfan » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:06 am
fassettfam wrote:Does anyone know of a 10gbe router which is recommended? Searching seems to be hit and miss.. it doesn't seem like there are a lot out there for the home. Anyone?
Really depends on what your budget, use case and comfort level is. If you want to stick with the conventional all-in-one (including wifi), a quick search turned up the ASUS RT-AX89X (2 10g ports – 1 copper/1 SFP+) @ $400. If you want to go bigger and separate your wifi take a look at Netgate’s 6100 (2 10g SFP+). If you want to virtualize or not be limited to a certain hardware appliance, SuperMicro has some superservers with 10g ports (I’ve used them with good success)… One benefit of a software firewall like pfSense is instead of replacing hardware every few years you simply update the software.

As for Ubiquiti and their UniFi line I don’t mind their switches and APs but have always found their USG routers lacking in features, performance and somewhat buggy. Perhaps they’ve improved with their UXG/Dream Machine line but that's just my 2¢.

Other factors to consider: power consumption, size, cooling, etc. If this will be sitting on an office desk or in a bedroom, I’d look at something with passive cooling. If thrown in an enclosed rack, closet or basement then fan noise may not be an issue.

Good luck
by dane » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:02 pm
I don't think CPU-based routers running pfsense will operate at full wire speed with a 10Gbps connection, it'd be my guess that you will need a hardware-based router like the Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
19 posts Page 1 of 2