10GB hardware?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 2 of 2
by js9erfan » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:53 am
True, it’s said pfSense will struggle above 6 Gbps (imix) unless pf is disabled. My understanding is this is due to a kernel limitation with FreeBSD which is why Netgate developed TNSR (also compatible with the 6100 in the link above).

According to the specs the UDM Pro is limited to 3.5 Gbps (iPerf) unless IDS/IPS is disabled. Smart queues will take that down even further. With those features disabled, Ubiquiti hit 8 Gbps on their benchmark using iPerf3.

That said your typical home user probably isn’t going to saturate a 10 Gbps line so I’m not sure it matters too much… Makes more sense on the LAN side for data transfer, etc. Just my opinion of course.
by ngufra » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:57 pm
by niroshansa » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:00 pm
I posted a similar question a month ago when my 10gbps line was (surprise) dropped in east Oakland. The tech sonic is putting out is just outpacing the consumer hardware that is available at a reasonable price, not a bad problem to have. Anyways…

The cheapest option I found was the QNAP QHora 301W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MQT9ZCX/re ... SVJCRM07XQwhich has 2 x 10G RJ45 ports and 4 x 1G RJ45 ports and built in wifi 6 ($330 new, I found one on eBay for $170 the other week). Hasn’t got the best rep but for the price I had to try, and I’m still trouble shooting some issues.

It’s been working minus some major kinks I can’t seem yet to figure out. I tested both direct line from adtran modem to my MBP with 10gbe thunderbolt adapter and with qhora in the middle using the second 10g port and they both get similar if not same speeds ~8000 down and ~7500 up. I’ve turned off the qhora wifi and I plugged my eero pro 6 into the 1G port and get full gigabit speeds which is great so I can use the other 3x 1 G for hardwired devices and the 10G to take even better advantage.

The hiccups begin when I use a 2.5G Realtek usb Ethernet adapter on my Nas or MBP, I get full upload speeds at 2300mbps, but download speeds are hitting 700-900mbps. When I direct connect to the modem with the adapter I max out on both upload and download. I really don’t know what’s causing this. Also my a simple 1G connection to my NAS using its RJ45 port to the router seems to have similar download issue, while upload maxes out consistently. Wondering if it’s an MTU issue between the router device, but seeing as the 10G thunderbolt through the qhora works if giving me hope that it’s a software issue.

QNAP has been updating the firmware quite a bit since it’s release a year ago, I think a lot of bad reviews come from how half baked it was at launch and still somewhat is… if I can get this to work with my 2.5G adapters then this will be golden for the price of only $170 compared to UDM Pro which does have rave reviews but is closer to $500-600 all in.

Hope this helps! Let me know what you find.
by kahunamike » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:25 pm
Thanks for the recommendations in this thread. I recently got 10Gbps service from Sonic (amazing!) and was a bit shocked by the prices of 10gb capable firewall/routers. The Netgate 6100 is $799! Since I like to tinker, I ended up building a pfSense box from a used Dell SFF computer and dual 10GBe Intel NIC from ebay. After some tinkering, I'm getting pretty consistent 8gbps up/down. This is with Snort(IPS) and PFblocker enabled. I don't do anything that could come close to utilizing 1gbps so am more than happy with 8gbps!

For anyone else who wants to venture down this road. These were the specs for the pfSense box. Came out to ~$200 (not including the SSD that I had laying around). Also not including new 10gb switches... Ha! This is a bit of a slippery slope. :D
Dell Optiplex 3050 SFF
-Core i5-6500 @3.2GHz 8GB RAM
-128GB SSD
-Intel X540-T2 (Dual 10Gbe NIC)
by tarzxf » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:13 am
kahunamike wrote:Thanks for the recommendations in this thread. I recently got 10Gbps service from Sonic (amazing!) and was a bit shocked by the prices of 10gb capable firewall/routers. The Netgate 6100 is $799! Since I like to tinker, I ended up building a pfSense box from a used Dell SFF computer and dual 10GBe Intel NIC from ebay. After some tinkering, I'm getting pretty consistent 8gbps up/down. This is with Snort(IPS) and PFblocker enabled. I don't do anything that could come close to utilizing 1gbps so am more than happy with 8gbps!

For anyone else who wants to venture down this road. These were the specs for the pfSense box. Came out to ~$200 (not including the SSD that I had laying around). Also not including new 10gb switches... Ha! This is a bit of a slippery slope. :D
Dell Optiplex 3050 SFF
-Core i5-6500 @3.2GHz 8GB RAM
-128GB SSD
-Intel X540-T2 (Dual 10Gbe NIC)
I found a similarly spec'd HP system (same CPU, 16gb/256 NVMe) in Woot.com's open box section, and added the same intel card for pfSense duty. I'm sure the current J4125 2.5gb fanless pfSense system would be fine, but why settle?

Construction update says I should have service in Nov 2022, so I'm "patiently" waiting.
by daniel15 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:42 pm
TP-Link ER8411 is available for preorder on B&H for $350: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... outer.html. Should be fully launched by the end of the year. According to TP-Link's data sheet, and testing by customers (it's already launched in Europe), it can reach ~9.3Gbps NAT throughput.

The 10Gbps ports are SFP+, so you'd need a 10GBase-T transceiver.
by ngufra » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:21 pm
How about repurposing a used netscaler like https://www.ebay.com/itm/363882115589
by kc.chen » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:28 am
I currently using a LinkSys Max-Stream AC2200 TriBand MESH Wifi router with Spectrum. What should I expect the maximum speed with Sonic? Thanks!
by tarzxf » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:54 am
kc.chen wrote:I currently using a LinkSys Max-Stream AC2200 TriBand MESH Wifi router with Spectrum. What should I expect the maximum speed with Sonic? Thanks!
Per https://www.linksys.com/ea8300---tri-ba ... nicalSpecs the wired ports are gigabit.
19 posts Page 2 of 2