Question on Installation (the Drop)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by gbrizkalns001 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:48 am
Just signed up for fiber yesterday, and actual install is set up for the 3rd.

Got an email stating that sometime between now and then, a Sonic person would be out to install the drop line from the pole, and I don't need to be around for this.

When they install the drop do they leave it coiled up on the pole somewhere, or do they also actually attach it to the side of the house at that time? Given that I have some very specific ideas about exactly where I want the line attached to the house, I probably should be around for this if the latter.

Please course correct me as needed!!
by ngufra » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:04 am
I believe the first part of the install is to run the wire from the pole to a box on the side of your house. The second is to get the cable from there to where you want the ONT and router etc to be.

You can call 611 to confirm if you are already on sonic, or the regular sonic support number.
by gbrizkalns001 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:53 am
OK, thanks. That is a little alarming, since when I talked to the ordering person on the phone, they said "we will def work with you on placement to the best of our ability"... me going out to run an errand the coming back to find fiber run to some part of my house where I didn't want it doesn't sound like that to me.
by gbrizkalns001 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:06 pm
I guess here is the root of the issue for me.

I've got 2 potential sets of power poles that the Sonic fiber drop could come from.
One runs across the street from me, and the other runs along my backyard.

Right now I've got power and comcast coming off the backyard poles and terminating on the back wall of my house. Is it likely that the Sonic would come off the same set of poles and terminate in same area of the house?

I'd def prefer that over having the drop come off the front yard across the street poles and having a random box appear on the side of my house.
by syntaxsid1 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:30 pm
Hello,

I have called our dispatch department and informed them about your preference here. They have made a note for the drop crew to check into this and will install on the backyard pole if possible. There is no guarantee as they would need to run the shortest line distance from the origin of the node there. If that happens to be more toward the front, they may go that route.

The Drop is scheduled to happen today by 6pm and has not been completed yet. If you are on site when they arrive, you can also request this in person and if this is possible, they will try and work this out for you. Have a good day.

Kind Regards,

Jeff - CES
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by gbrizkalns001 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:39 pm
Awesome! Thanks!
by dane » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:26 pm
gbrizkalns001 wrote:Awesome! Thanks!
How did it work out?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gbrizkalns001 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:11 am
Folks didn't come by last night, I think it got too dark. I expect they'll be along some time today!

Thanks for checking in.
by dane » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:21 pm
gbrizkalns001 wrote:Folks didn't come by last night, I think it got too dark. I expect they'll be along some time today!

Thanks for checking in.
Did they get it done?

FYI our fiber will either be on one pole line other the other, so there'll be limited flexibility on where they drop from. But they can land at different points on the home in most cases, and route the cable nicely to the spot you'll want the service delivered.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gbrizkalns001 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:21 pm
Yeah, they haven't come by yet, but I am sure it will get sorted. Someone in support was helpful.

One of my backyard neighbors is getting his Sonic off the backyard poles, so hoping that will apply to me as well.

I think (or maybe just hoping) that it might not be realistic for it to be run from the "across the street poles" because it is a pretty wide street and driving the length of it I can't find ANYONE with any drop lines for power or other utilities crossing over to my side of the street (Brittan Ave in San Carlos).
10 posts Page 1 of 1