Keeping just voice through VOIP?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by itsalann » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:42 pm
I currently have resold AT&T 1Gbps Fiber and was wondering if it’s possible to downgrade the service and just keep the VOIP.

Essentially just keep the little black box to connect all of our phones via the RJ port.

If not possible, what’s a good service that allows use of a similar VOIP technology that can make use of porting our Sonic number?
by brandonc » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:08 pm
Hey Alan,

Unfortunately, we are unable to just the VOIP service, we can only offer it as a bundle deal. However, there's a chance that we might be able to order you a normal Voice-Only copper line if the area's infrastructure allows for it and downgrade you're service to Voice-Only that way.

If you were specifically looking for VOIP service, then there are options available with other providers. One that I know a lot of people use is Ooma and RingCentral, although I haven't personally used them, so I can't say whether they're good or bad.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by js9erfan » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:06 pm
itsalann wrote:If not possible, what’s a good service that allows use of a similar VOIP technology that can make use of porting our Sonic number?
At home I've been using Ooma for about a year now without a single issue or outage. Porting over my Sonic number was done within 24 hrs. I don't use my home phone as much as my cell but the Ooma service has been solid. They also have a mobile app so you can answer and make Ooma calls from your mobile should you choose...
by oddhack » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:29 am
itsalann wrote:If not possible, what’s a good service that allows use of a similar VOIP technology that can make use of porting our Sonic number?
Google Voice is free (aside from e.g. an Obi adapter) and has been solid for me, for years at multiple locations and ISPs. For that matter you don't even need the adapter when making calls through your PC.

Of course it's free, and it's Google, so you can make corresponding assumptions. Works OK for my needs.
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:02 pm
+1 on Google Voice. I use it from my PC in the web browser, as well as with apps on my iPad and phone. No additional hardware required.
by medina4470 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:57 pm
Keep in mind there is no e911 with Google Voice. I believe there might be a way to add an additional service to the OBi200, for example. Personally with Callcentric.
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:17 pm
Good point. If I have a need to call 911, I would use my mobile phone. However, for routine calls throughout the day, I use GV because it's just more convenient.
by medina4470 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:36 pm
virtualmike wrote:Good point. If I have a need to call 911, I would use my mobile phone. However, for routine calls throughout the day, I use GV because it's just more convenient.
Yeah, I think of it from the perspective of an emergency when there is no time to think about which phone to use. My parents might pick up the home phone and try to dial 9-1-1 not realizing that there is no subscribed service for that. I was looking into the Google Voice route as well but I decided to go directly to a provider that has e911 and of course Bring Your Own Device. Bought an OBi200 and have used it on both VoIP.ms and now Callcentric.
8 posts Page 1 of 1