wiring for IPBB-C

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by jsdustman » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:48 pm
I'm getting Sonic installed at a new address, and I'm trying to wire the house prior to service installation. Sonic's availability tool says I'll be getting IPBB-C. Do I only need to run 1 pair of copper from AT&T's PoE to the room I want to put my modem?
by ngufra » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:29 pm
Depends. If you plan on using two DSL circuits bonded, you would need two pairs.
Do you have an alarm system ? Is it wired with an RG31x (so alarm system has priority to call over other voice lines in the house)
Will you put dsl filters on splitters by phones or in the demarcation box? if so, you will need separate pairs for voice and data from there.

I believe the installer should be able to do it unless policies are different in covid time and they don't enter your house/basement?
by jsdustman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:33 am
Thanks! That's super helpful.

We do have an alarm, but I don't know how it's wired. It's the only thing a phone line is getting hooked up to any time soon, so I'm inclined to just split it at the box.

I got service a few months ago, and they entered the house, so I don't think that's an issue. The "easiest" access to the closet is through a crawlspace, which I doubt the install tech will crawl through. I've got someone coming out to wire the house for ethernet, and he offered to run this line as well.
ngufra wrote:Depends. If you plan on using two DSL circuits bonded, you would need two pairs.
Do you have an alarm system ? Is it wired with an RG31x (so alarm system has priority to call over other voice lines in the house)
Will you put dsl filters on splitters by phones or in the demarcation box? if so, you will need separate pairs for voice and data from there.

I believe the installer should be able to do it unless policies are different in covid time and they don't enter your house/basement?
by ngufra » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:08 am
Is the voice as VoIP (so the ATA is connecter to the switch) or as POTS (so you do need filters to isolate voice from data)
by jsdustman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:09 pm
Not entirely sure. Sonic availability tool claims "Internet delivered over AT&T’s network using one Fiber-to-the-Node data line, plus one home phone line." which reads like a separate voice line to me.
ngufra wrote:Is the voice as VoIP (so the ATA is connecter to the switch) or as POTS (so you do need filters to isolate voice from data)
by virtualmike » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:50 pm
It will be a VOIP solution. You only need the pair for data. You'll receive an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) into which your phone(s) and perhaps your alarm will be plugged in.
6 posts Page 1 of 1