Will ATA still work in BGW210-700 Ethernet port in Passthrough mode?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by emberson » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:30 am
The Subject is basically the question I have.
I'd like to have my local home systems (some servers and desktops with static ips on a LAN)
to access the BGW210-700 via a router. Seem like the accepted way to do this is to put
the BGW210-700 into "pass-through mode".
But, the telephone ATA plugs into on of the BGW210-700 Ethernet ports.
So, will the ATA still work?
Thanks.
by ngufra » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:29 pm
Why can't you put the phone adapter on your router instead of the BGW210-700 ?
It should not care where it gets its internet from.
by emberson » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:06 pm
I assume that with Fiber-to-Node the AT&T twisted pairs end up somewhere under Sonic's
control, which is to say, the WAN line leaving the BGW210-700 broadcast gateway going
back to Sonic is somehow special.
Are you suggesting that I could take the ATA and plug it into any internet port, not just in my
house, but anywhere?
Have you tried this?
I thought that, maybe, I'd have to plug it into the internal router that connects to the BGW210-700
via "passthrough mode".
Thanks.
by amayfield » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:23 pm
The ATA authenticates with our servers to provide dial tone, and it requires internet connectivity in order to do so but not specifically connectivity via the RG provided by AT&T. So if you were to configure DMZ Plus or some other kind of pass through on the ATT RG to another router and plugged the ATA into that device, theoretically you should still get dial tone.

Regarding your question about going to another location and plugging in the ATA - that is not advised as the ATA's e911 information includes the address where your Sonic service is, so if you were to call emergency services (like 911) they'd dispatch not to where you have the ATA plugged in, but to the location you have Sonic service.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by emberson » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:26 pm
Thanks very much for you reply. It clears things up pretty well.
5 posts Page 1 of 1