pfSense and Smart/RG VDSL2 Gateway

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by stevewull » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:18 am
Hello,

Trying to use bridge mode on the Smart/RG and pfSense as my router.

My Fusion IP Configuration is set to Static IP type.

I followed the instructions to put the Smart/RG in bridge mode: https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... ridge_mode

I've tried various settings for the WAN interface in pfSense but have been unable to get an Internet connection. Any tips on the proper settings for this to work?

Should the IPV4 address be set to my Fusion static IP address?
What about the IPv4 Upstream gateway?
by js9erfan » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:52 am
If you have a static IP from Sonic check your assigned IP, netmask and gateway under member tools.

Enter the IP and netmask under your WAN interface on pfSense (static IPv4). You will need to add the gateway to pfSense as well and then select it on the WAN interface page. Mark it as your default gateway and you might consider changing the gateway monitor IP to something other (8.8.8.8, etc.) if the gateway monitor regularly shows it as down.

After you set bridge mode on the modem and configure pfSense you might need to reboot those devices. If pfSense still can't obtain an IP try forcing the speed and duplex on the WAN interface to match the modem. I've had to do this with certain pfSense boxes that don't play nice with some modems.

Don't forget about configuring your DNS as well...

Good luck.
by stevewull » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:19 pm
Success! The one thing I hadn't done before is set the DNS Servers to be 50.0.1.1 and 50.0.2.2.
3 posts Page 1 of 1