ethenet splitter or switch to adtran ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by stevenlew » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:51 am
Hello, I have Sonic fiber. Currently I'm running a cat6 ethernet line from the ONT upstairs through the wall to an ethernet port where the eero is plugged in. I'd like to install a second ethernet port downstairs, and add another eero instead of an eero beacon. I was thinking of getting an ethernet splitter to run the two ethernet lines from. Any recommendations for a splitter or an ethernet with from the ONT? Thanks.
by joeyyung911 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:00 pm
You DON'T add a switch or a splitter at the ONT, that's the router's job.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by igorru » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:48 pm
Stevenlew,

I think what you want to do is install your other eero (not beacon) downstairs where your ONT is and connect it to the ONT directly. Then connect your upstairs eero to the downstairs eero. Your downstairs eero will be your router (and switch) your upstairs eero will be connected over what is called a 'backhaul'.
by ngufra » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:39 pm
If you use a switch and connect the two eero separately, i believe you will get two separate public addresses which i don't think is what you want.

So you can either connect the second eero to the first eero (either with a network cable if it's supported or using their wireless networking), or put a router behind the ONT and connect the two eero to the router but then there is not much benefit: you will use double NAT on the eeros and you won't see devices attached to the first eero from devices connected to the second.

I think you want to use the main eero downstairs (connected to the ONT) as your main and connect it to the second one upstairs.
by stevenlew » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:41 pm
igorru,
Thank you. That is what I was trying to do. The downstairs eero will connect to the OTN directly. There is no switch. The upstairs eero has to connect to the downstairs eero. I can run a line down and connect through new wall ports. Thanks for clarifying.
by stevenlew » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:42 pm
and thanks ngufra.
by charles2 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Your situation is an example where I would use different routers than the rented eero. For example, you run Ethernet from the ONT to a main router, perhaps a TP-Link Archer model. Then you run Ethernet to a second TP-Link router, which is easily set up on its webpage menus as an Access Point. Setting up an Access Point can be a pain with some routers, requiring you to determine and set several technical parameters. Not with my Archer A8; a menu just requires me to change one button from Router Mode to Access Point mode; the device sets it up perfectly, with no double NAT problems.

Or your main router could be an eero, with Ethernet running from its one extra Ethernet port to a TP-Link Archer router as just described.

(Disclosure: I am on Sonic Gigabit Fiber pre-order, and I use my TP-Link as an Access Point behind the router that AT&T fiber requires me to use. I believe this does not affect the description above; indeed, it shows that the Archer router plays nicely with the AT&T router.)
by igorru » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:25 pm
The advantage of having two eero's with ethernet backhaul is that you would still get the benefits of a mesh network like graceful hand-off between wireless points and automatic channel selection. You don't get that with access points.
by dane » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:41 pm
The ONT needs to be directly connected to the first Eero. Then from there you can connect as many Eero units as needed behind it, connected either with with Ethernet or wirelessly.

Easy whole-home WiFi coverage is exactly why we pair up the Eero mesh WiFi solution with Sonic fiber.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by charles2 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:50 pm
igorru wrote:... graceful hand-off between wireless points and automatic channel selection. You don't get that with access points.
The setup I described definitely does automatic channel selection. And I haven't seen a problem that would indicate an issue with handoff between wireless points.

Of course, there is more than one way for the OP to solve his problem.
11 posts Page 1 of 2