They are hanging fiber on my street this week

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by susanjom » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 am
Good grief. I've tried to figure out what that is going to mean for me and I have to admit that I am stymied by all of the abbreviations and jargon.

Can someone give me a brief tutorial on what to expect (or guide me to it if there already is one)?
What equipment changes I will have to make from copper line DSL service (including a landline that rings without electricity) ? And maybe a glossary of the terminology?

My usage is simple (telephone and internet for home), so I don't need to know how to do a whole lot.
I'd just like to feel competent in the next phase.
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:12 am
It should be pretty straightforward, hopefully. They'll replace your copper DSL / phone line with a fiber optic cable. This will mean that you'll no longer use a DSL modem to connect to the internet, but instead will have a device called an ONT (which stands for optical network terminal) - which is effectively a modem, but for Sonic's fiber optic service. It is what will give the devices in your home phone and internet. Your phone should be able to plug directly into the ONT to get its signal.

Sonic will also be providing you with a new wifi router so that your computer/phone/etc. can connect up to the internet. This will get its internet signal from the ONT.

You'll likely be offered the option of getting a battery backup for the ONT - if you rely on your landline for emergencies, I'd highly recommend going with this option. It'll ensure that your phone line will continue to work even when the power is out.

Hope that answers your questions!
by susanjom » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:18 am
Thank you.
3 posts Page 1 of 1