Sonic Fiber connection keeps dying, power cycling the fiber modem fixes it. What is this, cable internet?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by dereksajbel » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:54 am
I just got my Fiber install last week in Oakland. Starting yesterday it's connection has been dying in the middle of the day, everyday. Power cycling the sonic fiber modem restores service (I own my Netgear router). Will I have to be doing this every day? It's happened yesterday and today in the middle of work. If so I can use the strategy I did with cable modems, and have a power timer cycle it for a minute in the middle of the night.

:D :lol:
by dane » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:29 pm
Have you worked out if the issue is with Sonic's equipment or yours? What do the lights on the Sonic ONT indicate when it's offline?

Do contact support, they can assist! But note that if they dispatch and the issue turns out to be with your customer-owned equipment, a visit charge would apply. This is the risk in using your own router instead of the Sonic provided equipment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dereksajbel » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:06 pm
Thanks, all lights were green on the Sonic modem I think, but I will check again next time. The router showed internet connection light as problem. But only had to power cycle the Sonic modem to restore service. If it happens again I'll call tech support.
by dane » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:44 pm
dereksajbel wrote:Thanks, all lights were green on the Sonic modem I think, but I will check again next time. The router showed internet connection light as problem. But only had to power cycle the Sonic modem to restore service. If it happens again I'll call tech support.
Resetting the Sonic equipment will cause link on your own router to go down and then come back up, and it'll try to obtain an IP, etc. You might instead try just rebooting your own equipment rather than the Sonic gear, or just unplug and re-plug the Ethernet. One big risk with customer-provided equipment is plugging into the LAN side, or to a switch rather than router. You'll use up all of the IPs available to you real quickly and it can be quite a mystery. Our bridge must be connected to the WAN port on a router.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dereksajbel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:57 am
Thanks, yes, it is plugged into the wan of my NetGear AC2400 router. Reseting the router didn't restore service when I tried it on the first day this happened.
by dane » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:53 am
dereksajbel wrote:Thanks, yes, it is plugged into the wan of my NetGear AC2400 router. Reseting the router didn't restore service when I tried it on the first day this happened.
I'd suggest messaging support so they can troubleshoot the optical terminal. They can check light levels etc remotely, and also dispatch a technician. Note that because you are not using our equipment, if there is no fault found on our side, a visit fee would apply.

http://sonic.com/support
Dane Jasper
Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1