Buy your own fiber modem / ethernet adapter

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 1 of 2
by dereksajbel » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:24 pm
Hello I just got Sonic fiber gigabit service and I want to purchase my own fiber modem, or is this just a fiber to ethernet adapter? I'm having trouble finding information on what will work with the service. I have a router, so I'm just looking to purchase my own device like I'm renting from Sonic now to save on the rental fee. Is there a list of supported devices somewhere for gigabit fiber?

Attachments

by dane » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:27 pm
No, it’s not possible to use a third-party optical network terminal with the Sonic service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:32 pm
If you have a 1 Gbps ONT that connects to sonic fiber on one side and has a RG45 (ethernet, to connect to your router WAN port) and a RG11 (phone, to connect your regular phone), you have to use the one from sonic and they are loaning it not renting it.
You can use your own router-switch behind that although sonic recommends you rent theirs.
If you rent theirs, they can log into the router and do diagnostics and they will come and service the wiring if needed for no additional cost.
If you don't rent their router, if they need to come and the issue is on your side of the ONT, they will charge you for the visit.

From what I understand, for the people who get the 10 Gbps line, the ONT is also a router switch so i guess you have to use it and you have to rent it.
by dereksajbel » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:09 pm
Ah ok, I was a bit confused about pricing, I haven't seen a bill yet, but I've seen $40 /month pricing advertised on the site, and I've been told I'm paying $50 /month by the installer due to this monthly fee for this equipment?
by joeyyung911 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:34 pm
The ONT is part of the service, there ain't a monthly fee. Monthly fee is for the gateway.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dereksajbel » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:55 pm
Huh ok, I'll understand better when I have my first bill. Whatever promotion I signed up with seems to be free for a bit, can't remember, it was last winter when I pre-ordered it. :lol:
by charles2 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:03 pm
The $10 monthly rental fee is for the router they installed, probably eero brand (a subsidiary of Amazon). You can return it; there is probably an article in the Knowledge Base about how to go about that.

You can put your own router in place, so long as it has a 1 Gb Ethernet port for the Internet connection.
by ngufra » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 pm
For many years I was happy with various dd-wrt based routers, then I had some asus router and used merlin instead.
Worked well too but when I upgraded to fiber, it had issues keeping up.

Currently using pfSense on a small computer. one port connected to the ONT, one port connected to a switch.
The wifi access points (engenius) are on the switch (or on a secondary switch that has POE to power the access points)
One of the ports on the router is also configured as SPAN that sends all traffic to a capture device.
You certainly do not need to be as fancy but I like being able to separate each function.

I am a big fan on engenius but it seems many people are happy with ubiquiti devices.
by dereksajbel » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:50 am
Thanks, but Sonic says I can not do this? There are no supported devices?
Also this is not a router. It's the modem / ethernet adapter. It's connected to my own Netgear router.
by charles2 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:04 pm
Right, you cannot put a substitute in place of the Sonic-supplied ONT. But the $10 monthly rental fee is for a Sonic-supplied router, which you can return and replace with your own router.
19 posts Page 1 of 2