Wifi speakers not staying connected. What to do?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by mgibsonsf » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:44 am
Hello!

I am having an issue keeping my home speakers connected via wifi.

Everything *used* to work but I made some mandatory changes and haven’t found a way to hold onto the stability I used to enjoy.

Any advice?

My deets:

* Sonic Gigabit Fiber connection
* SMART/RG router from Sonic
* Small 1BR apartment
* Three Devialet Phantom speakers (2 paired in stereo) connected via wifi
* I can’t connect the speakers via ethernet due to physical constraints of the space.

What happened:

* Everything used to work great. Devialet used to have a device called Dialog which created a separate wifi connection for the speakers. I never had any problems at all.

* Then, Devialet had a mandatory firmware and OS update which got rid of the Dialog, and now the speakers connect to the wifi network directly. I also had to purchase a Roon UPnP app to connect to the speakers, since Devialet got rid of their own app.

* Now, though nothing about my Sonic account, or the placement of the speakers, has changed, the “paired” set can’t hold a signal reliably. The one farthest from the router drops out for a few seconds at a time, often.

My confusion:

* So far, Devialet hasn’t been much help, nor has Roon. Roon recommends *against* a mesh network since it increases the # of junctures when a wifi signal can drop.

* I wonder if there is something else I can adjust, and if so what? E.g., reducing the # of devices that are on my network, or… ?
by ngufra » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:55 pm
I don't know about Devialet except that they are very expensive French-designed speakers.

I would try hard to get they hard wired/ethernet wired to avoid any wifi issues.
Next best is as you had a separate wifi network just for them so they don't have to share with any other devices.

Are you using 2.4 GHz band or 5 Ghz band?
in 2.4 GHz band, there are channels 1-11 but there is overlap so only 3 channels can co-exist. If you have neighbors, it can easily cause issues. The 5 GHz band has a lot more channels not overlapping and would be preferable.

Mesh networks will indeed possible require going through a few devices to reach your speaker, causing some delay and it can be very noticeable in audio applications.

I think you will be much more useful feedback at Devialet or roon tham from sonic boards as although we may be willing to help, our knowledge of your specific product is unlikely. Then again, you may find another devialet users that has solved your exact problem.

Good luck

-Francois
by ngufra » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:10 pm
There are a bunch of articles on devialet's website including
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/arti ... to-stream- (2013!)
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/arti ... with-Wifi- (2019)

I don't know whether they are up to date with the update they mention.
3 posts Page 1 of 1