Mediocre connectivity to Azure/Microsoft/Xbox networks

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by strangecargo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:44 pm
I've noticed highly variable download speeds that never seem to approach full gigabit speeds when downloading content from the Azure/Microsoft/Xbox CDNs. Regardless of whether or not I'm using a wired Windows PC or Series X console, download speeds for games or software from the Microsoft/Xbox stores never seem to exceed ~650mbps and will often drop below 100mbps mid-download. I also deal with the Azure CDN a little for work and noticed a similar issue there (though I usually don't deal in such large transfers in this case). In contrast, large downloads from other sources like Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, etc, all seem perfectly capable of fully saturating Sonic Fusion fiber. Is there any kind of configuration/peering/etc that could be done by Sonic to improve this situation, or is this entirely on Microsoft?
by mtardif » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:03 pm
Hello,

We have direct network interconnects with Microsoft. After looking at the health of these circuits, and routing, it seems everything is functioning as it should. Your fiber circuit doesn't have any shapers in place that would be causing this. The path from your ONT up through to Microsoft via these interconnects is solid too.

This sounds like server-side throttling more than anything. Have you had any luck with contacting Microsoft?
--
Michael Tardif
Network Engineering Manager
Sonic Telecom
2 posts Page 1 of 1