Business Fiber ONT bridged mode

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by cablecardental2001 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:34 pm
Hello everyone,
I am one of the fortunate ones in our building who will be getting the Business 2G fiber installed.
I have my own internal firewall/router that serves the office.
I tried asking one of the installers about the ONT, but he wasn't able to provide details. I would like to be able to set the ONT into Bridged mode for both fiber lines. Will this be possible or would I be able to provide my own ONT functionality in my own router.

Could anyone provide guidance. I prefer to be prepared prior to the install happening.

Thanks
G>

p.s.
Wanted to thank the crew that came out for a walkthrough at the Union St. building in San Francisco.
by charles2 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:55 pm
For residential fiber, Sonic uses ONTs from Adtran, like their 621X or 401/411. You might look at the datasheets and whatever info you can scrounge up about these and other Adtran ONTs.
by ngufra » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 am
What is the "business 2G fiber"?
Is 1 Gbps too little and they are bonding two fiber links?

Is the ONT accepting the two fibers and exposing a single connection where to connect your router to or do you use a router with two wan ports so it's not 2 Gbps but 2x 1 Gbps (so you cannot transfer at 2 Gbps but you can have two connections using 1 Gbps each)

In Oakland, I believe I remember sonic started to install 10 Gbps. The Adtrans box is ONT and router in a single box and i think it does not offer bridge mode yet.
by charles2 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:09 am
From the Sonic Knowledge Base: "The iPhotonix 7251G is an ONT that Sonic utilizes for Small Business Fiber customers. It has the ability to provide two separate Fiber networks, both of which are dedicated 1,000Mbp/s lines. These networks are completely independent of each other and can not be aggregated."
https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... onix-7251G

This device is only an ONT. It has four Ethernet outlets, to which you presumably attach router(s) and whatever.
by cablecardental2001 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:42 pm
Thanks for the replies.
Eventually I came across the ONT and the explanation. The only thing is that the darn thing is not Rack friendly.

Once the install gets done I'll post an update.

Gary
5 posts Page 1 of 1