Expansion to more San Francisco neighborhoods?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by tbrant » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:27 pm
Hi Dane, I am currently a very happy Fiber customer (94114) and just bought a house (94110) a mile away in San Francisco and low and behold there is no Fiber service there. I am so disappointed and the IPBB connection will not work for my data needs. Any updates on upcoming plans to expand to the area and other areas throughout SF would be much appreciated. I have a pole outside the building which should make the setup easier than needing an underground connection.
by dane » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:44 pm
We are currently expanding our reach in SF, and I saw a meeting outline for later this week with our development group to discuss another significant build there. We also have a lot of infill in our pipeline, for areas in SF where we could not reach due to unsafe poles, where that issue has now been resolved and we can finally deploy. (Hopefully, your location is in this category.)

But even with these projects, SF will always have inconsistent coverage because the City does not currently have standards that allow new utilities to place conduit using modern trenchless construction methods. Without these methods, widely used elsewhere, both boring and microtrenching, it just is not possible for any utility that does not already have a conduit to every home to build infrastructure there. We remain very interested in achieving uniform coverage in SF, but their standards will need to be updated. Perhaps tell your Supervisor that you want more than two choices for internet access someday.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tbrant » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:51 am
Thank you Dane for the quick response and educated me on the issues facing SF. I will definitely reach out to my supervisor.
by shanmugam » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:26 pm
Well, I am still stuck at under 6 Mbps for many years in Diamond Heights. Lately, line two has been dropping persistently. An ATT tech came out 2 days ago and today the line is dropping again. Sonic will come out in 4 days to check again. I don't want to put a microwave antenna on the roof at this time. We do have cable wiring that was most recently used by my daughter for faster internet as she works for a tech company and the DSL speed is laughable for her work from home needs. OK, SF won't let you do some things. As a CEO, shouldn't you look to other technologies with partnerships to fill in the gap until you can move ahead? Satellite, 5G, microwave, etc. If there is no movement in any direction away from this legacy technology of DSL in our area, who will sign up for Sonic service in the hope of getting fiber in the future?
4 posts Page 1 of 1