September update for West Oakland?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by nfutterman » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 am
I was wondering if we'd be seeing a September build update for West Oakland fiber installation anytime soon. Usually they've come in the early part of the month, and the August update suggested we'd start seeing residential connections "by the end of the summer" which of course is fast approaching. What's the word? (FWIW I'm over in Lower Bottoms, west of Peralta and a couple blocks north of 7th st.)

I know these things take time, and I'm happy to see the progress so far but it's been a while (and with Sonic hopefully on its way I've been sticking with my AT&T DSL but it's...less than ideal so I'm eager).
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:45 pm
I saw a sonic truck on my street today for the first time - looked like they may be surveying the poles. I'm closer to McClymonds, but it seems some progress is occurring.
by nfutterman » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:54 am
I spoke too soon - just got the September email this morning. Regrettably, it's now saying not to expect service until next spring. Seems as though it may make sense to change to something better from AT&T if possible for the interim, which I'd held off on since it seemed like this was coming sooner than it's ended up being. Looking forward to it eventually, anyway.
by ddohlen » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 pm
So frustrating!!
by kyle.depasquale » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:41 pm
As a former sonic fiber customer and soon to be one again - I can definitely say that while it is frustrating waiting, it's 100% worth it in the end! I went through this in San Francisco before, and as with any large project like this, there's always unintended delays.
by nfutterman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:33 am
AT&T has been doing a bunch of work on my block lately, and it looks like my address turns up as having their fibre service available now (which wasn’t the case before).

I’m loath to get something new installed now only to have to redo it in a few months (???) when sonic is available but being able to get something that’s concretely available now (assuming that’s actually the case, etc.) is certainly tempting.

I take it Sonic doesn’t share that infrastructure and their work doesn’t bear at all upon Sonic’s progress, though, correct?
by gtwrek » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:18 pm
Just a note of warning. If you sign up for ATT Fiber, then it sort-of disqualifies you for "Sonic over ATT fiber."

Not officially, of course, but in essence it's as such. The reason is Sonic can't install that sort of service for an address already served by ATT fiber. So one has to go through the entire "Cancel ATT fiber service" before the "Sonic over ATT Fiber" can be installed - meaning a downtime of many weeks.

Ask me how I know this...
7 posts Page 1 of 1