Putting BGW210-700 into bridge mode?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by mchiarini » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:24 am
Hi folks,

My objective is to have more control over my family's device's network connections since the Arris has nothing. Ostensibly, I will use my R7000 to do this.

I have not been able to setup IP passthrough from the Arris to the R7000 and would like some guidance. Can I assign the R7000 as the designated host for the passthrough? If so, do I need to connect the Arris to the R7000's WAN port? Is the R7000's LAN MAC address the same as its WAN MAC address?

Equipment (all wireless routers in AP mode):
* Arris BGW210-700 from Sonic
* Netgear Nighthawk R7000
* Asus RT-N66U
* TP-Link Deco P9 (3 units but only using 2)

I currently have the Arris connected to the ONT in my garage.
From there, I have a CAT3 line (don't ask) going up to a P9 in my office.
The R7000 also direct connects to the Arris and broadcasts 2.4G and 5G wifi.
The Asus in the living room is wirelessly bridged to the R7000 over 5G.
The second P9 in the master BR is connected to the office P9 both via wifi and powerline.

I know I don't need to describe all of this but I wanted people to see how "organic" I am!
I also know I could spring for a really good mesh network (maybe Ubiquiti or similar) and just get rid of the old junk but I still enjoy the DIY.
The P9s were repurposed as APs because I could never get the mesh to work well right off the Arris.

Anybody want to give it a crack?

Thanks!
by klui » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:08 am
Check out the procedure at https://spin.atomicobject.com/2021/02/1 ... gw210-700/. This was just one of the first hits I found when searching for "ip passthrough bgw210."

Basically connect a cable between your R7000's WAN port to one of your BGW210's LAN ports. Use the URL above and follow the procedure on how to assign your R7000 as the passthrough device. You will still be able to access your BGW210's management address on its LAN side so it's a good idea to have different subnets for your BGW210 and R7000. When you first connect the two together your R7000 will have an IP from your BGW210's LAN DHCP pool. Unless your R7000 has a way to release and request another IP you need to reboot your R7000 after you assign it as the passthrough device.
2 posts Page 1 of 1