My Brother printer hates my eero

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by lynh » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:49 pm
I just got an eero to replace a malfunctioning smartRG, and after spending an evening trying to restore the wireless connection to my Brother HL‑L2360DW monochrome laser printer, I found this in Brother's support docs:

"EERO Mesh Network Users: We have found a link between EERO routers and Brother devices, which may cause frequent wireless disconnection. Our technical support team has thoroughly researched the situation and found that due to the specifications of EERO routers, we do not have the ability to stabilize their wireless connection with the Brother device. For a better overall network connection, we recommend using your Brother device with an Ethernet cable connected to your router, if supported by your machine's specifications. You may also use a USB cable connected directly to your computer. Brother cannot offer any further assistance with this issue while using an EERO router.”

In my case the printer claims it is connected to the network, but my MacBook Pro can't see it.

Not great, especially since the eero has only two Ethernet ports.

Does Sonic know something that Brother doesn’t, or should I be looking to get another smartRG?
by js9erfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:27 am
lynh wrote:Not great, especially since the eero has only two Ethernet ports.
Depending on how many ports you need you could always add a switch.
by ngufra » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:34 am
Would it help if you put the mac address of the brother printer in the dhcp reservations list on the eero so it does not change, then on your computer tell it to address the computer by the ip address listed in the dhcp reservations list ?
Just a wild guess on something that may help but may be too technical so brother prefer telling you it does not work.
by lynh » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:31 am
js9erfan wrote:
lynh wrote:Not great, especially since the eero has only two Ethernet ports.
Depending on how many ports you need you could always add a switch.
Thanks. That would be an improvement in some ways, but since I don't need the eero's mesh capability, I might be better off with a smart/rg anyway. Fewer devices, fewer cables.
by lynh » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:56 am
SOLVED
ngufra wrote:Would it help if you put the mac address of the brother printer in the dhcp reservations list on the eero so it does not change, then on your computer tell it to address the computer by the ip address listed in the dhcp reservations list ?
Just a wild guess on something that may help but may be too technical so brother prefer telling you it does not work.
Thanks, that's a brilliant suggestion. Although it wasn't itself the solution, it led me to one.

For some reason that escapes me, I had two entries for the printer in the eero management app: one with a manufacturer entry of Brother, one with the manufacturer as Hon Hai Precision. Weirdly, it's the Hon Hai that has the IP and MAC addresss that match the printer's, and works. No surprise that the printer was made by Hon Hai (aka Foxconn), but of the two, I would think the Brother entry would be correct.
by ngufra » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:15 am
Glad I helped!
I had to do the dhcp reservation for some printers some years ago when the printer "port" was using an IP address.
6 posts Page 1 of 1