Sonic Fiber Equipment?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
22 posts Page 3 of 3
by lasevich » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:13 am
klui wrote: What made you feel I think that way?
I think we're are getting away into the weeds now, but to answer your direct question, I was referring to the statement that Sonic needs to wait for AT&T to do something before they can offer something as complicated as a network bridge But if course the whole conversation is moot as apparently they are working on on it anyway.

I also reject the idea that maintaining a feature-rich four-in-one device firmware is somehow easier than using a simple bridge (aka 2 port network switch) + an off the shelf Eero system that is already heavily used and supported and easy to replace with another off the shelf system. It may look easier to use all in one on paper, but nobody really wins in this case. :-/ As they say, complexity kills. Rather than waiting on AT&T or actively trying to offer an all-in-one, my guess is that it's just a new device and there was not enough time yet to undo all the half baked "features" the vendor's product managers insisted on offering :-( (or so I hope)
by klui » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:45 pm
I see the misunderstanding. Sorry for not being clear.

I'm not saying Sonic should wait for what ATT does and then follow. What I meant was if enough deployment of a piece of equipment drives down their price it makes sense for Sonic to benefit from that economy of scale, as they have done for their back end. It just so happens they like Adtran equipment. But since Adtran now has these all-in-ones, I'm not surprised as I found out ATT has a similar setup for their XGSPON deployments.

I would like Sonic to provide an option for a dedicated ONT but my concern is XGSPON ONTs may all be all-in-one units from every vendor.
22 posts Page 3 of 3