Adtran 822v troubles

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
23 posts Page 1 of 3
by khegel » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:41 pm
I am very happy with my service so far but I am having some issues with the ONT. When opening lots of connections for example when downloading a video game from lots of peers or connections with lots of threads, the connection slows down to a crawl and becomes unusable. I suspect I am filling the NAT table on the Adtran just based on past experiences but I'm not sure. After 10 or 15 seconds I get tons of TCP dup ACKs and retransmissions and my internet slows to a crawl to the point I can barely load webpages (see attached tcptrace graphs)
sonic-tcptrace-2-1.png
sonic-tcptrace-2-1.png (112.99 KiB) Viewed 21098 times
sonic-tcptrace-1.png
sonic-tcptrace-1.png (107.98 KiB) Viewed 21098 times
Because of how fast the connection is, it is hard to use most of the bandwidth without opening lots of simultaneous connections.

Will I always be limited by the routing capabilities of the ONT or is there a way I can use my own router that is more powerful? The Adtran lacks even basic firewall features as well so I would like to upgrade to something better. Is bridging possible at all? Also are there any specifications or datasheets on the performance of the ONT? I could not find any online but it would be helpful to know so I can set some limits and not overload it.

I opened a support case but they said I should post in the forums in order for the networking team to look in to the issue.

Here is information in order to replicate the test I was doing which causes the problem:

My hardware:
Windows 10
qbittorrent 4.3.5
16GB ram
Intel(R) 82599 NIC

• Clicked popular torrent on academictorrents.com and sorted by most seeded. Picked an open source dataset: the 6.7GB ImageNet one https://academictorrents.com/details/5d ... e5e3a5f2e5
  • Set connection settings in qBittorrent (see attached image)
    qbittorrent-settings.PNG
    qbittorrent-settings.PNG (35.8 KiB) Viewed 21098 times
  • Selected to save the torrent on an SSD and started it.
It usually goes for 5 or 10 seconds and gets up to around 80MBps then speed drops down and connection becomes very slow including loading webpages.
I also tested with my desktop connected directly to the ONT and had the same results.
by ngufra » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:44 am
So you are connecting your computer directly to the ONT ?
The recommended setup is to use a router between devices and the ONT.
There is no routing in the ONT.
If you plugged a switch and multiple computers into it, they would each get their own public IP though I think it would run out at about a handful of them.

TL;DR: Get a decent router and use NAT.
by dane » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:01 am
ngufra wrote:So you are connecting your computer directly to the ONT ?
The recommended setup is to use a router between devices and the ONT.
There is no routing in the ONT.
If you plugged a switch and multiple computers into it, they would each get their own public IP though I think it would run out at about a handful of them.

TL;DR: Get a decent router and use NAT.
With the traditional Sonic Adtran 411 GPON ONT this is correct. But the new 822V XGS-PON ONT is currently being deployed in a routed configuration, with NAT etc. And we have seen some performance related bugs, but I’ll leave it to the network team here who can better speak to the specifics.

We have deployed tens of thousands of 411 units on GPON, but with the shift to XGS-PON technology we must test and select new CPR solutions. There are three variations in the test pipeline, and the 822V was the first to reach deployment. But clearly it’s not quite bug-free when it comes to full performance. We elected to move ahead despite that, because it is generally delivering >1Gbps performance, and achieving superior throughput compared to the 411. But getting it running full-speed is of course a top priority here as we seek to scale up our 10G coverage.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by khegel » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:47 pm
Thanks for the response. I would like to be able to bypass the ONT and use my own router that would be ideal. The team has indicated that bridging is not possible but I wonder the technical details of why that is. Previous fiber providers I have had were able to bridge from the ONT and give my router the public IP address.

Routers that do IMIX at 10g are basically computers with multiple cores and lots of memory. I wonder if it would even be possible for the low-powered ONT to perform at line speed. I've gotten close maybe 7 or 8 gbps but that was just iperf. The trouble seems to come in more realistic traffic scenarios.
by ngufra » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:19 pm
I had missed the model number of the ONT.
Finding a router that will take 10GBps and that can actually handle it may not be easy.
I guess even it were only giving you the full Gbps you would still be happy.

I hope by the time 10Gbps is deployed in my area the ONT are more stable.
by mtardif » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:01 am
Yes, as Dane mentioned, we have found a few bugs related specifically to the ONT (822v). So far, we have identified two speed related bugs, one of which we have a confirmed fix for that will be included in a code rev update by the end of the year. The other one is making progress with the vendor and the chipset manufacturer but proves to be rather elusive for a definitive fix.

We have multiple other units in lab testing environments and continue to put them through the paces and refine our testing methodologies as we expose more ways to find the weak points. I'm very grateful you included the details that you did as it helps our testing and helps our vendor R&D teams.

As far as your NAT table concerns go, no you are not filling. We currently support 8,000 in each direction and have a feature request in to increase to 16,000 in each direction.

And finally, yes, we can now support bridge mode! We are field trialing that feature and I would like to convert your ONT as soon as you are ready.

I will reach out to you directly using your account contact information today to start this process.

Take care!
--
Michael Tardif
Network Engineering Manager
Sonic Telecom
by ngufra » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:45 am
Please keep in mind that a portion of your customer base will prefer to use their own router, so leave us an option to get an ONT that does just that, so we don't have to get one that does router, wifi etc (and comes with rental fees) to then dumb it down and plug our own router behind.

Currently using pfSense (with suricata, etc). Not sure how the pc it's running on would handle 10 Gbps though.
by khegel » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:25 pm
Thanks Michael. That is great news. I would be happy to help test this feature.
by khegel » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:22 am
I seem to have found a fix to this problem by setting Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level to disabled in windows

Code: Select all

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
and can now sustain fast transfer speeds. I also don't seem to have the problem at all on Linux so I'm guessing it is in how windows is changing the TCP window.

I can not find much documentation on this feature but it seems to be enabled by default in Windows Vista and above. Also it seems like it is supposed to be benefiting high bandwidth connections. This is all I could find about it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... v=msdn.10) Maybe there is a bug in the Adtran's handling of rfc1323?

Have not heard back about the bridging feature yet. Are you still working on it? Would be great to be able to use my own router.

Thanks,
-Kevin
by amayfield » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:08 am
We should be able to get your ONT bridged now, a Sonic rep will be reaching out to you later today to get that coordinated and squared away. Thank you for being so patient while we sorted this all out.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
23 posts Page 1 of 3