What kind of work for the technician to perform to upgrade my connection to 50Mbps?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by minh5115 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:20 am
I plan to upgrade my connection from 20Mbps to 50. I wonder that what kind of work the technician must do. Does the person need to access my WIFI router? Or only to work on the switch box?
by klui » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:08 pm
If you are to remain on VDSL (FTTN) which I assume you are since FX1 is no longer available, your RJ11 data jack needs to have 2 working pairs of conductors for bonding. The tech may need to confirm but most of the changes are in the NID and CO.
by minh5115 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:26 am
Thank You.
by briancw » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:01 pm
Hi minh5115,

I see here you are going to be getting the IPBB-C and with what you have now you'll be looking at a replacement of your modem and work at the phone box on the side of the house. Klui was correct that most of the work is at the phone box (NID) on the side of the home or at the CO.

Best wishes,
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by ewhac » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:15 pm
I would also suggest getting a quality DSL filter to put at the Demarc, instead of using those filters you plug in to each phone. This way, the high-frequency DSL signal goes only to your modem, rather than reflecting off every phone jack in the house and causing signal interference.
by klui » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:20 pm
There is no need for any filter with Sonic's VDSL because phone service is handled by the ATA. What AT&T did was connect my home run directly to the telco side, bypassing the customer portion.
6 posts Page 1 of 1