10Gb fibre service?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
31 posts Page 1 of 4
by nickengel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:53 am
I had my Sonic Fibre service installed yesterday. It is working quite well and glad to pull the plug on the cable modem forever!

I was pleasantly surprised to see when I connected the optical modem to a 10GbE capable WAN2 port on my Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro that it lit up as a 10GbE connection. Looks like Sonic is being forward thinking with the modem installs.

My service is still of course connected at 1Gbps and I'm measuring consistent up/down in the mid-900Mbps as expected.

Does this mean a 10Gb service or at least trials are coming soon in my area?

Please pick me for testing :)
by kyle.depasquale » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:33 pm
If it negotiated at 10gbps, then you're one of the lucky ones to have it :) Likely the bottleneck is your computer's ethernet port. If you were to upgrade to a 10gbe adapter, connect it either directly to the ONT or the 10gbps lan port on the UDMP (and have a fast enough computer!), you'd likely see faster speeds.
by nickengel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:12 pm
Thanks Kyle, although now I'm not sure the ONT was actually connecting at 10Gbps

I think the Ubuiqti Dream Machine Pro is doing something funky. It reports 10Gbps connected to the ONT.
UDM 10.jpg
UDM 10.jpg (49.41 KiB) Viewed 42954 times
When I try a 10Gbps USB-C adapter connected to a laptop directly to the ONT I only get 1Gbps.
by dane » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:47 pm
We have begun delivering 10Gbps ONTs to a limited number of customers in a portion of newly activated network in Oakland. If you've got this configuration, you'll have a larger ONT, with two voice ports, four gigabit Ethernet ports and a 10Gbps Ethernet port. The central office exchange in that neighborhood is configured with new XGS-PON interfaces, and that's the technology used to deliver the new 10Gbps service.

To answer in advance the obvious question, upgrades will be available in existing areas in the future. We've got some issues to get behind us, primarily around chip availability for CPE, but also software and process, cost of the upgrade, etc. Stay tuned, it's an exciting future!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:04 pm
I remember when one had to refer the most people to Sonic to get a 10 Gbps circuit!

Sweet
by sandy.dannunzio » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:41 am
dane wrote:We have begun delivering 10Gbps ONTs to a limited number of customers in a portion of newly activated network in Oakland. If you've got this configuration, you'll have a larger ONT, with two voice ports, four gigabit Ethernet ports and a 10Gbps Ethernet port. The central office exchange in that neighborhood is configured with new XGS-PON interfaces, and that's the technology used to deliver the new 10Gbps service.
Any chance you might be willing to disclose whether that central office is OKLDCA11 or OKLDCA13?

I've already made a cardboard mock-up of the Adtran 411, using it to plan my ideal ONT placement. If there is some possibility of receiving a larger ONT, I would love to know so that I can make contingency plans. Can you reveal the model number of the larger ONT? (Yes, it's a bit silly, but planning, planning, planning helps me stay sane while I wait, wait, wait for my neighborhood to eventually light up.)

Doesn't really matter. I will be thrilled with whatever ONT Sonic decides to give me.

Thanks!
by dane » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:51 pm
Currently the equipment is the Adtran 621 - but that is likely to change in the future as the platforms evolve. You can find info on that device at: https://adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtr ... 823F1/4488
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by klui » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:29 pm
The first thing I looked at was power consumption. I guess it's not bad considering the device has 10x the performance and it uses 5x the power as the older 411. But the fact that it's using 20W means the UPS might need to be upgraded and it uses 20W.

Maybe when working at 1G it still sips power like the 411?
by dane » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:46 pm
klui wrote:The first thing I looked at was power consumption. I guess it's not bad considering the device has 10x the performance and it uses 5x the power as the older 411. But the fact that it's using 20W means the UPS might need to be upgraded and it uses 20W.

Maybe when working at 1G it still sips power like the 411?
Sorry, no idea. And this won’t be the hardware we use long-term anyway.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by colincamarillo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:31 pm
dane wrote:We have begun delivering 10Gbps ONTs to a limited number of customers in a portion of newly activated network in Oakland. If you've got this configuration, you'll have a larger ONT, with two voice ports, four gigabit Ethernet ports and a 10Gbps Ethernet port. The central office exchange in that neighborhood is configured with new XGS-PON interfaces, and that's the technology used to deliver the new 10Gbps service.

To answer in advance the obvious question, upgrades will be available in existing areas in the future. We've got some issues to get behind us, primarily around chip availability for CPE, but also software and process, cost of the upgrade, etc. Stay tuned, it's an exciting future!
Dane,

Do you have any thoughts about users who have equipment like a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro Provide their own Nokia 3FE46901AC Xgs-pon ONU I-temp 1270 TX SFP Module?
31 posts Page 1 of 4