10Gb fibre service?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
31 posts Page 3 of 4
by waxamillion » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:58 pm
If we already have Sonic and the street one block away is getting some of the 10gig are we able to upgrade to the beta?
by dane » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:03 pm
waxamillion wrote:If we already have Sonic and the street one block away is getting some of the 10gig are we able to upgrade to the beta?
No, we don't yet have the ability to offer upgrades. We're working towards that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by michaelkjellman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:39 pm
any eta on offering upgrades? i want to be able to have bragging rights again with my coworkers.. the at&t users with their 2.5Gb service screenshots are really rubbing it in! would homemade chocolate chip cookies to team sonic help? :)
by dane » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:28 pm
No, there isn’t yet an ETA on upgrades. But you can tell your coworkers that when you do upgrade, your monthly fee will remain the same, so there’s that. =)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rbi » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:28 pm
I eagerly await 10Gb service... I have a Ubiquity UDM Pro with an empty SPF+ slot and their 48-port Pro PoE switch with three empty SPF+ slots. Looking for an excuse to start upgrading the rest of my network to 10Gig.

I assume those of us in SF on GPON will have to wait longer for CO equipment upgrades first (Sunnyside/Miraloma Park - Foerster St)?
by dane » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:45 pm
rbi wrote:I eagerly await 10Gb service... I have a Ubiquity UDM Pro with an empty SPF+ slot and their 48-port Pro PoE switch with three empty SPF+ slots. Looking for an excuse to start upgrading the rest of my network to 10Gig.

I assume those of us in SF on GPON will have to wait longer for CO equipment upgrades first (Sunnyside/Miraloma Park - Foerster St)?
Sounds like a good plan!

Regarding upgrades, we're first going to be able to offer them to the cohort of about 4,000 existing customers who have GPON CPE, but where those are actually connected to XGS-PON equipment in the CO. These customers were deployed at a time when we were ahead in the CO, and behind in the premise due to equipment availability. This will give us an opportunity to develop the process and the kit. The long-term plan is then to roll that out into each region over time, as CPE (chip shortage) issues are resolved and based upon uptake. You can expect a "request upgrade" tool for us in the near future that'll let us aggregate demand and prioritize upgrades based upon that.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jfa_roy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:51 am
That sounds reasonable. Thanks for communicating with your customers. I just became one (San Francisco mission)!

I was bummed that the equipment was still the old 1 Gbps stuff. I don't mind paying an equipment upgrade fee at all, that's totally understandable. Keep up the network build, we need the competition in the Bay Area.
by sullyfamily510 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:59 am
My 10G service install was just scheduled for April 14th.

Do I even need an ONT if I have an XGS-PON SFP+ module to plug into my Ubiquiti UDM-Pro?

Something like this: https://www.fs.com/products/141199.html

Is there any network authentication that is required?

Thanks!
by dane » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:17 am
sullyfamily510 wrote:My 10G service install was just scheduled for April 14th.

Do I even need an ONT if I have an XGS-PON SFP+ module to plug into my Ubiquiti UDM-Pro?

Something like this: https://www.fs.com/products/141199.html

Is there any network authentication that is required?

Thanks!
Sonic doesn’t have the capability to interop with third-party ONTs. You’ll get a Sonic ONT deployed by our installer which will deliver a copper 10GBaseT handoff. You could connect that to the Ubiquiti via a Cat6e cable and appropriate SFP.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sullyfamily510 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:02 pm
So there is no optical handoff available?
31 posts Page 3 of 4