10Gb fibre service?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
31 posts Page 2 of 4
by dane » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:20 pm
Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to support that. The ONT/U is interoperability tested and configured by and for our network. You’d want to connect the Dream Machine via 10GBaseT to the Sonic unit.

FYI for the 10G services we are moving away from routing in the ONT, it’ll be configured as a simple bridge.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by vernon_x » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:28 pm
Can you keep me up to date on your 10G progress? I'm a Sonic customer in 94706, using QNAP qhora 301w. I have 10G adapters on 3 computers and 6a cabling RF45 connections, not spf)..

You mentioned Sonic has not settled on pricing for 10G. I am price sensitive.
by dane » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:43 pm
vernon_x wrote:Can you keep me up to date on your 10G progress? I'm a Sonic customer in 94706, using QNAP qhora 301w. I have 10G adapters on 3 computers and 6a cabling RF45 connections, not spf)..

Monthly pricing for 10 Gigabit service is the same as one Gigabit. Really, we have one price for Fusion, whether it's DSL or fiber.

But there is expected to be a one-time charge if you would like to upgrade from one to ten gigabit equipment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by octernion » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:56 am
But any chance of rollout plans? I’m in 94702 and extremely curious about this as I have all 10gb capable home equipment (but not the terminal).
by dane » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:16 pm
octernion wrote:But any chance of rollout plans? I’m in 94702 and extremely curious about this as I have all 10gb capable home equipment (but not the terminal).
We do not yet have a concrete timeline for upgrade availability in regions served by one Gigabit (GPON) equipment. All new regions are being deployed with the ten Gigabit (XGS-PON) gear, but we have struggled with supplier/chipset availability for the customer premise and central office equipment, so upgrades aren't yet something we can begin to roll out due to this.

(Caveat: we do have a small number of customers who have XGS in the CO but GPON CPE in the home, because of that exact issue, and these sites will be the first where we can offer upgrades. They'll provide us a good opportunity to test the equipment shipping, self-installation instruction and process, and equipment return. There are a few hundred customers who will be in this pool, located in parts of Oakland and SF's Cow Hollow and Lower Pacific Heights neighborhoods as I recall.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by octernion » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:28 am
Really good to know, thank you! If you need anyone to be a guinea pig in Berkeley, let me know ;-)

Good luck with the rollout!
by dane » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:21 pm
octernion wrote:Really good to know, thank you! If you need anyone to be a guinea pig in Berkeley, let me know ;-)

Good luck with the rollout!
Thanks!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by niroshansa » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:44 am
vernon_x wrote:Can you keep me up to date on your 10G progress? I'm a Sonic customer in 94706, using QNAP qhora 301w. I have 10G adapters on 3 computers and 6a cabling RF45 connections, not spf)..

FYI I also have a QNAP QHora 301W for the reason that I got 10G installed, its a great device especially for the price for 10G WAN, but I am having issues with some of my hard wired devices and 2.5G USB adapters with it getting full download speeds, upload speeds max out. Seems to be a software issue with QNAP and certain adapters for WAN speed, not LAN speed. Though 10G speeds through my thunderbolt USB C adapter hit max through qhora which is great.
by chris90 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:54 pm
Dane,
You mentioned that parts of Cow Hollow in SF will have access to 10GB. I'm on Green St, close to Cow Hollow, but I've been waiting for fiber access for 10+ years, and I cannot find any info on when, or if, it will be available from Sonic. Can you give me any info?

Thanks,
Chris
by jj358mhz » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:21 pm
Another customer here in Berkeley that is willing help testing :)
31 posts Page 2 of 4