Gigabit fiber modem + mesh router system need a restart frequently

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by moyminoy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:44 am
After using Sonic fiber service with a Linksys Velop AC4400 2-node mesh router system for a while, I started having service interruptions about once a week. The only fix has been restarting the modem, followed by restarting each individual router node. It was inconvenient, but wasn't a huge deal. I assumed Sonic might be having network issues once in a while.

Lately, I added several new connected devices to my smart home, and the interruptions became more frequent, like once or twice every day. Usually I wake up and find my wifi disconnected, and find out that my security cameras have not been functioning.

Thinking that my AC mesh router system wasn't good enough for about 50 connected devices in our house, I just purchased a new wifi 6 node (Linksys Velop A4200), created a new mesh network with the same name and password as the old network, assigned the new router as the main node, and reset and added the old nodes as satellite nodes to the new network. The new network has a wifi 6 node as the main router, one wifi 5 node as a wired satellite router, and another wifi 5 node as an unwired satellite router. Please note that according to Linksys, this setup is supposed to work with no issues.

Unfortunately, that didn't help either. We still lose internet connection almost every single day, and need to go to my garage to reset the modem and 3 routers one by one. It is really frustrating and I don't even know if it's caused by the Sonic service, the routers, or both. After a Google search, I couldn't find any similar problems shared by Sonic customers. With so many Sonic customers using Velop routers, it doesn't look like a widespread issue.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a fix? The internet service and the wifi network is perfect when it works, but having to reset it frequently is really tiring.
by dane » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:05 pm
When it fails, if you connect a laptop to the Sonic ONT, do you get an IP and are you able to access the Internet? Do the lights on the ONT indicate anything different during the failure than during normal usage?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aduran » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:39 pm
I came here for a different problem but I had the same issue regarding the Velop disconnecting from the internet and dropping my ring cameras albeit with ATT Fiber. Turns out, I had the firmware updates to automatically and apparently in one of the recent updates, they added HomeKit support. That's what was causing my issue. I disabled HomeKit on the parent node, reset it and reset the child node and fixed the problem. Also disable the automatic firmware update because if it ain't broken, why fix it.
3 posts Page 1 of 1