Fusion service keeps going up and down

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 1 of 2
by alexlmchoi » Mon May 23, 2011 12:08 am
Hi Dane,

I live in San Francisco at zip code 94112 and right now my Fusion service keeps on for a few minutes then down for another minute. I'm wondering why is that?

Thanks,

Alex
by paulbarwick » Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 am
Alex,

While you are waiting for Dane to find and respond to this message you may want to call Sonic customer support at 611 from your Fusion phone line ( or 1 (707) 547-3400 from a non-Fusion line) if you haven't already done so.
by dane » Mon May 23, 2011 10:57 am
alexlmchoi wrote:Hi Dane,

I live in San Francisco at zip code 94112 and right now my Fusion service keeps on for a few minutes then down for another minute. I'm wondering why is that?

Thanks,

Alex
This is the sort of thing that is impossible to resolve without troubleshooting. It's something we can't fix in a discussion forum, so you will need to contact support directly.

You can get contact info - and see how many folks are waiting, current hold time, etc at:

http://www.sonic.net/contactus.shtml

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by alexlmchoi » Mon May 23, 2011 11:43 am
Update: The service went back stable after about an hour and half roughly (I didn't check it carefully as I switched to use tethering from my phone for stable connection). After that the speed drops from previously ~14-16Mbps to ~10Mbps.
Then this morning around 9:30am I dialed 611, waited for 15-30 sec, and the representative Rob helped me. Although he helped me to tune it up to 12Mbps, with some loss of upload speed, the speed is never back and he told me that there is no guarantee that I will always have the same speed. Now I'm a little bit disappointed but still acceptable.
by dane » Mon May 23, 2011 11:47 am
Sorry to hear it's going slower than initially! Support is the experts on this, based upon what you described it sounds like running at the faster speed meant instability - this is pretty common. To achieve a stable link, it sometimes must be limited.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by alexlmchoi » Mon May 23, 2011 1:17 pm
No Dane, the service was stable for last three to four days when it was 14Mbps. Somehow it became crazy last night around 11:30pm. I just don't know if Comcast, the ISP that upstairs use (I live in basement of a house) may have screwed up my connection.
by dane » Mon May 23, 2011 1:35 pm
I don't think it's likely that a Comcast connection on the premises would cause any trouble. It could be a new lamp with a bad dimmer, a failing modem, a corroding telephone jack - lots of things - but support would be the group who could help walk through all of those.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike2 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 am
alexlmchoi wrote:No Dane, the service was stable for last three to four days when it was 14Mbps. Somehow it became crazy last night around 11:30pm.
I've encountered the same thing, where things were stable, then suddenly went crappy. The folks in Support were very helpful and patient as we worked through all the possible causes and solutions. It was a bit frustrating for me, as after working through things, the line seemed to be stable for a while, then would go bad, and I would start the cycle again.
alexlmchoi wrote:I just don't know if Comcast, the ISP that upstairs use (I live in basement of a house) may have screwed up my connection.
More likely, it's AT&T. Seriously.

I live in a neighborhood with 55-year-old copper; e.g., built back in the days before anyone even dreamed of broadband, fax machines, more than one line to a house, etc. (I suspect there is a shortage of lines in the neighborhood.) On at least two situations, AT&T has fiddled with the lines. During the last cycle with Support, one of the reps did a test, and finally declared, "There's a bridge tap on your line, close to your house. We'll dispatch AT&T...." Sure enough, on the scheduled day, the line magically went stable that afternoon. (On a previous incident, AT&T had to change pairs.)

I'm now getting 92% of the rate I got when I first cut over to Fusion, before AT&T started messing with things. I suspect the line still hasn't been restored to its original state. Since I'm still getting almost 4x what AT&T is willing to offer even as I'm saving a good amount of money, I'm going to consider myself lucky. If the rate drops again substantially, then I'll ask Support to get involved, but I'm not going to obsess over that last 8%.
by alexlmchoi » Tue May 24, 2011 11:05 am
Thanks emkay. I think later today i'll dial 611 to see if that "bridge tap" thing is happening on my line. Now I have only 80% of the original speed so I think I'm gonna ask for service's help again.
by virtualmike2 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:26 pm
alexlmchoi wrote:I think later today i'll dial 611 to see if that "bridge tap" thing is happening on my line.
Can you trace the inside wiring from the MPOE (phone company interface) to all your phone jacks? You should rule out any problems inside the house, first.

In my case, it's a brand new run of twisted pair from the MPOE to the jack where the DSL and phone are plugged in, and we have NO other wiring in the house.
19 posts Page 1 of 2